Use of sand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just dug out a pond and put building sand under the liner and on top of the liner at the deepest poiny.
Of course as I filled it with rainwater it all turned orange!
How long before the sand settles? It maybe I have made a mistake and it will remain orange!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You may have, there are many types of sand. From my readings of others who have added or used sand. You don't want to use many beach sands expecialy the fine type where when you go to the beach it clearly has silt floating in the water. In other words course sand is what I have seen to be recommended. If your pond silted up from rain water alone that's a pretty passive filling without much disturbance. If your going to have fish they will constantly be disturbing the sand . And you may never have clear waters.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1617562287184.gif
@Snapper
Whoops and I sure don't know but hope you can get it cleared up. If not then looks like the sand will have to come out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
When I installed my bog, the silt from the pea gravel did what silt does. But it finally settled out after a week or two.
IMG_20190324_181728014 (Copy).jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It took mine a bit to clear up, we did not rinse the 38000 lbs of pea gravel.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'd like to follow to see how things turn out. Hopefully it will all settle and your water will stay clear.

I had the same experience as bluerooster and addy when building my bog. I rinsed the pea gravel as best as I could, but when I turned on the pump, it all clouded up.
Luckily, it cleared within a couple of days and in less than a week my water was no longer green either.
Sand may be a different story, I don't know. Hopefully it will clear up nicely.
Keep us posted.

Ask a Question