water color change with rains

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I was just wondering if anyone lived in houses built from wood? Or had furniture made from wood? Or ever used paper or paper plates or paper towels or had a baseball bat or wooden jewelry box or pencils or anything else made from wood? The trees do grow back!

There is a huge difference between responsible forestry management and what is being discussed here. Yes, wood IS a renewable resource, but only when Man takes the time to practice husbandry. Most paper and wood processing companies own their own land and replant after each harvest much like a produce farmer. It is the entities that are looking for the quick buck that clear cut and leave without any effort or concern for mitigation. The photos that J.W posted are only a very small example of what is going on world-wide. Destroying habitat without any thought of replacement is IMO criminal. For it leads to the extinction of species, which BTW is at an accelerated rate today. This leads to gaps in the trophic levels (Food Chain) which leads to greater imbalance in the overall world ecology which will eventually lead to a collapse in regional ecological systems that support the very existence of Man. Open your eyes and look around you. It is happening as you read this.

Reaction score
What are the companies looking for the quick buck doing with the wood? Surely they aren't being laid to just chop down forests and leave the wood there... It has got to be used for something. Can you blame the companies, or should the end consumer be to blame? No different that oil drilling or fracking companies messing up an area so people can have cheap gas. Now that it's $1.99 a gallon I hear much less complaining.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Does size matter tho............in the trees? There may be more trees but they aren't as big as those of 100 yrs ago.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What are the companies looking for the quick buck doing with the wood? Surely they aren't being laid to just chop down forests and leave the wood there... It has got to be used for something. Can you blame the companies, or should the end consumer be to blame? No different that oil drilling or fracking companies messing up an area so people can have cheap gas. Now that it's $1.99 a gallon I hear much less complaining.

These articles emphasize "re-foresting" which replaces habitat. I see no efforts at re-foresting in the 2 photos that J.W posted. Countless more can be found easily on Google. Clear cutting, for one reason or another, is often done in my area. The wood is piled and burned providing no benefit to anyone.
My concern is with those companies that do not practice husbandry or re-forestation, but instead bypass these beneficial practices just to bolster their bottom line. Many of these companies sell to foreign entities like Japan and China where the demand for wood is high. Here we all lose.
Obviously, you relay on different news sources than I do for the furor over Fracking has not subsided. Just recently it was banned in the State of New York and many counties and Metro areas have passed their own bans on fracking in areas under their jurisdiction and more are added as time passes. Fracking did not lower the price of gas, Saudi Arabia did by flooding the market.

Reaction score
These articles emphasize "re-foresting" which replaces habitat. I see no efforts at re-foresting in the 2 photos that J.W posted. Countless more can be found easily on Google. Clear cutting, for one reason or another, is often done in my area. The wood is piled and burned providing no benefit to anyone.
My concern is with those companies that do not practice husbandry or re-forestation, but instead bypass these beneficial practices just to bolster their bottom line. Many of these companies sell to foreign entities like Japan and China where the demand for wood is high. Here we all lose.
Obviously, you relay on different news sources than I do for the furor over Fracking has not subsided. Just recently it was banned in the State of New York and many counties and Metro areas have passed their own bans on fracking in areas under their jurisdiction and more are added as time passes. Fracking did not lower the price of gas, Saudi Arabia did by flooding the market.
That's not exactly correct. Fracking has allowed the USA to double its output, increasing supply. OPEC decided not to lower production. It's actually the extra supply from the US, due to ease of extraction, that is increasing supply.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As much as I would like, I am not going to debate global petroleum policies. Wrong forum!
Even though the discussion as strayed from julieblain's original post, j.w's circumstances certainly highlights that you have to take into account what may be floating around in your air if a water quality issue manifests in your pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I NC they have selective cutting where they do not allow them to strip every thing to the ground and leave all the garbage on the ground for termites .We build with wood but there can be a limit put on all this stripping of the land .We all have to consume products of some kind but why so much .We are not building as much in this country so where is all this wood going .My pond is partially above ground like the poster here so I know it is not coming from run off .Just like here the spray a weed killer around all the power towers that kills every thing .They say it is organic but the strong odor from it makes me think they are lying .Like poster the rains bring the problem and maybe just putting a couple of jars out to catch some of the rain water to see what is in it .Even city water in some areas and well water can cause problems .Pollution is every where .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
To put it in context dp we are all to blame for this we are a throwaway society that needs to think about just what is happening with industies of any sort before things reach a major tipping point.
Look at all the freak weather paterns we are now seeing around the world especially in the US, for too long now weve taken and not done enough to replace .
Things are going to get worse on this planet before mother nature can redress the balance , The Problem is there is no Political or Business will to set about tackling the problems that have long been in the making they tend to take the status quo i;e "as long as the mighty profit rules and keeps on rolling in" .
I feel so sorry for our future children the ones who are going to really have to pay for their forefathers folly

Dave

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Rain can be quite dirty!!!!! Especially in very large cities with lots of air pollution. California was in drought and then suddenly got lots of rain.

In order for the rain to fall from the sky, the nucleus of each drop of rain must mix with a speck of dirt!!! That is just how rain works and that is why after the so called fresh rain, your car can look so dirty!!!

In the case of large urban areas the rain can indeed be very dirty and it could be possible that the rain caused the water to turn orange. StrangE things can and do happen when it rains.

If you can rule out rain washing silt and dirt onto pond, then it must have been the rain.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I've deleted the last few posts, please take note of addy1's warning - this applies to everyone.
Awe!!!! I akways miss out on the good stuff!! He he he

Was very good reading thread and much appreciated the "entertainment" even though I missed out on lots!!

And NO being mean to Sissy!!!!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You are to busy loving that little rio and Dave is busy with Betty .A world with out love and caring is not a world I want to be in .Everything is possible these days.As Dave said i feel sorry for the future generations and what we are doing to there world .They need to get away from the puters the TV's and cell phones and see the beauty that is around them .Get back to basics .I remember what fun it was to eat watermelon and spit seeds at your siblings and now spit is a hazard .:(Glad I had the joy of it and the great memories 1 little seed or 2 (or lots more )could bring .Laughter is the best medicine

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
OMG I just love my baby Rio! You should see me and the hubby together with our new "love child" ha ha ha! He is worse than me and still puts her in the highchair to feed her, and several times a day, and only the very best part of the turkey for her! Sweet little Rio was "fluffing" sweet smelling farts all night, everything about her is just sweet! I must have Birthed Her I swear!! Ha ha ha

20141227_153728.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Colleen I wouldnt go as far as calling Bettys litter poops anything but sweet smelling, for such a little kitten I'd say rancid would fit the bill perfectly :poop::yuck::dead:

Dave

Ask a Question