What's A Normal Water Inside Vault Reduction?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my first season of running my pondless waterfall. I use a DIY 18" culvert pipe for my pump vault, which houses 2 pumps. The feature has 2 streams, one large and one small, both of which are approximately 25'. I notice that over the course of 7 days, the water level inside the vault reduces by approximately 2 inches. Does this seem normal, due to splashes and of course some evaporation? Just trying to make sure I don't have a leak somewhere, although I see no evidence of such.

To that end, I'm considering installing maybe the Aquascape autofill unit inside the vault. I'm just not sure how I'd fasten it to the corrugated pipe. The tutorials I've viewed show it being installed against a flat, thin surface. The culvert pipe is flat on the inside, but of course has the rounded areas on the outside. I'm thinking If I could perhaps find an extension for the auto fill threads to extend them beyond the round surface of the culvert pipe (it that makes sense?), then maybe a larger washer to be able to fasten, or tighten the extended piece up against the outside of the culvert pipe?

Thanks for any input
Marc

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
That evaporation rate does not sound bad. On dry windy days I can lose that amount easily over my whole pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If your only loosing two inches over a week in a small culvert pipe , you did well. Much better than i thought you get too. I was affraid you had bit off more than you were going to be able to control WELL DONE

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello again @GBBUDD A small culvert pump vault i guess, but the basin houses 12 matrix blocks, so roughly 400 gallons I guess. Does this water loss still sound normal for that many gallons?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes for the amount of channels water splashing against rocks on two streams yes

Ask a Question