Water Quality Problems

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Unlike you
was in the same situation as you..... Mine was too many fish in a pond that had not cycled yet, first order an API Master test kit if you don't have one already..... Check it every day..... If the ammonia gets to. 25 do a 50% water change, this will buy you about two days...... If you keep feeding..... Buy some Pond Prime, you can get it off Amazon..... When my ammonia got to. 50 a couple of times that's when I used the Prime..... But at the end of the day what kept me going until my pond cycled was water changes, and the same can work for you until you get your Bog working. Everyone will tell you to quit feeding them and that is sound advice, but I could not bring myself to do it. This is a perfect time of the year for Bog building and you have time to get alot of plants going, in a fairly short period of time. And yes you will have a good size water/electric bill with the addition water changes, but realistically if you can afford to have a Koi pond you can afford two or three months of high water bills... Jimmy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Adding a "bog" may help, but with this many fish, it would need to be of considerable size to fulfill your needs.
Why would you have a problem re-homing some of your fish? Others in your area may be quite happy to have them.

I live in a fairly rural area and I don't know anyone else with a pond in need of any decorative fish. Plus I'm attached to them! They're pets as much as my dogs and cats are. If I can improve filtration and keep them happy and healthy where they are, I'd much rather do that.

The bog size I have in mind is a 6' diameter stock tank with a 2' depth... Just eyeballing it next to the pond, it looks almost as big as the pond itself. I calculated the surface area of that bog to be about 28', which is more than 30% of the surface area of the 9'x9' fish pond. From everything I've been reading, I thought that would be sufficient for a filter system? The barrel system I have has worked 'til now but it's ugly as mud, and I've been trying to beautify my (sadly neglected) pond area this year and had planned on building some kind of screen for it. The bog would be a much more attractive solution, even if it takes up more space in the long run.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
. I calculated the surface area of that bog to be about 28', which is more than 30% of the surface area of the 9'x9' fish pond. From everything I've been reading, I thought that would be sufficient for a filter system?

It would be in a pond with a sustainable moderate fish load. This is not your case. It is the amount and sizes (total mass) of fish that is the issue not the size of the pond. Biofiltration can only be properly sized based on the fish population, not the size of a pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
It would be in a pond with a sustainable moderate fish load. This is not your case. It is the amount and sizes (total mass) of fish that is the issue not the size of the pond. Biofiltration can only be properly sized based on the fish population, not the size of a pond.

What is a moderate fish load for an 1800 gallon pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
What is a moderate fish load for an 1800 gallon pond?
2, 24 inch koi I would consider moderate, 3 is fully loaded, 4 is really cozy; adding 2 10 inchers is holy cow. I'm not saying you can't do it, but the thing is the more heavily loaded the pond, the more work it is, the quicker things go bad (like your water quality), the more likely the fish will get sick and the more likely they'll die if they do get sick. The Dealers will stock there show tanks heavy like that but they are pro's not hobbyists.
But since you're stocking at the level you have, I'd recommend.
  1. Vacuum the bottom of the pond to get rid of the sludge down there,
  2. Air purge your biofilters, they're probably sludged up as well and mostly anaerobic,
  3. Aerate the pond better, beneficial bacteria that break down wastes need oxygen and carbonates to do there job,
  4. Add crushed oyster shells, they contain lots of carbonate, beneficial bacteria need oxygen and carbonates,
  5. Do 10% water changes every week,
  6. Put in the bog, very likely to help,
  7. Surface skimmer, can't hurt, but the above will probably help the most.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is all in the filter and aeration and feeding the fish .You don't need fancy stuff you just need patience and dedication .Which dedication is something I lack in time I have for my pond but it works out in the end

Ask a Question