Waterdrop Hemlock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have learnt that a plant which I have always thought of as an attractive addition to the summer display of my natural pond is actually one of Britains most poisonous plants. I have admired its beauty on our local riverside and have been happy to allow it to spread out of control on my 72' x 40' garden pond but now I know what it is I need it gone. I doubt I can pull up the roots as the pond is a liner and not clay so digging may well damage the pond. An aqua herbicide seems to be the only solution but the pond is well stocked with carp, newts, frogs and all manner of wildlife that I would hate to put at risk.... is there a solution? Thank you

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If it has been there for years and there has been no issue with deaths, I would say try to cut it back as much as possible and leave the rest. Any type of herbicide could end up killing fish or other animals.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If it has been there for years and there has been no issue with deaths, I would say try to cut it back as much as possible and leave the rest. Any type of herbicide could end up killing fish or other animals.
thank you

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
butterfly 37.gif
@callysaunz
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oenanthe_crocata
Gosh hope your pup won't bother it!
Looks like it was used to get rid of certain people:
Scientists at the University of Eastern Piedmont in Italy wrote that they had identified Oenanthe crocata as the plant responsible for producing the sardonic grin.[33][34] This plant is a possible candidate for the "sardonic herb", which was a neurotoxic plant referred to in ancient histories. It was purportedly used for the ritual killing of elderly people and criminals in Nuragic Sardinia. The subjects were intoxicated with the herb and then dropped from a high rock or beaten to death.[35][36] .........................YIKES!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If that plant is the same family as a strain of what we have here in the states, it is beyond poisonous. When we come across some the land clearers get in hazmat suits and masks gloves etc. its secretion is excruciatingly painful on bare skin. it can grow to like 8 to 10 feet tall. fantastic looking plant but it is trying to be eradicated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 161880 @callysaunz
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oenanthe_crocata
Gosh hope your pup won't bother it!
Looks like it was used to get rid of certain people:
Scientists at the University of Eastern Piedmont in Italy wrote that they had identified Oenanthe crocata as the plant responsible for producing the sardonic grin.[33][34] This plant is a possible candidate for the "sardonic herb", which was a neurotoxic plant referred to in ancient histories. It was purportedly used for the ritual killing of elderly people and criminals in Nuragic Sardinia. The subjects were intoxicated with the herb and then dropped from a high rock or beaten to death.[35][36] .........................YIKES!
its history sounds the stuff of nightmares. I know Socrates met his demise due to Hemlock but I believe waterdrop Hemlock is even more poisonous. Pretty scary to think this is grown in abundance in my garden. I think Ive even picked it in the past to admire the pretty flowers. YIKES INDEED!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If that plant is the same family as a strain of what we have here in the states, it is beyond poisonous. When we come across some the land clearers get in hazmat suits and masks gloves etc. its secretion is excruciatingly painful on bare skin. it can grow to like 8 to 10 feet tall. fantastic looking plant but it is trying to be eradicated
Im not sure if it is same strain but gosh im feeling more concerned by the minute. This plant on my pond doesn't grow beyond 4 foot tall but its been encourage as it has been a lovely addition to my pond over the years. Little did I know I was growing a potential killer.

Ask a Question