What do I do?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 200 gallon outdoor pond above ground that I’ve had for three years now I’ve been OK with the pond as far as just cleaning up myself without a pond filter or a pond pump. I’m wondering because I have a lot of algae problems and plans aren’t growing as good as they should be growing if I should have a pump and a filter. I just bought two pumps for it, but do I really need a filter if I’m using Floaters and other plants that help against algae as well as fish ?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. I am not clear, do you have fish in the pond? If so, what kind and how many. Sometimes insufficient nutrients can be a limiting factor in plant growth. Any pictures? The primary advantage of a filter is to trap suspended debris for removal and as a medium for beneficial bacteria to grow in order break down fish waste.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks. Yes I have fish in the pond probably about 20 new medium size goldfish two somewhat bigger Koi and about 10 goldfish last year that are kind of big. I also use hyacinth and water lettuce. I have California water poppy horny wart I have lilies and lotus. i’ve had the pond for probably three years now this part my fourth year and I’ve had no problems really keeping it clean. I just skim it and keep the fish in there and every probably six months or so I take the pots out clean the algae off and everything so this year I decided to buy a pump to get the water moving it that would help the algae problem I have because algae problem is pretty severe. Just don’t have a lot of money to buy a filter if I don’t need one.

Attachments

• IMG_0706.jpeg
    IMG_0706.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0705.jpeg
    IMG_0705.jpeg
    275.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0704.jpeg
    IMG_0704.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0703.jpeg
    IMG_0703.jpeg
    454.9 KB · Views: 17

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
That is a lot of fish in a small volume and if you are feeding them enough to grow, they are producing a lot of waste which can lead to your algae problems. Koi can also get very large so a normal recommendation to allow proper room as adults is 1 koi per 1000 gallons and an additional 500 gallons for each additional koi.

A standard biological filter, will only help reduce the deadly fish waste, ammonia and nitrite. It will not remove nitrates which can be removed by plants and water changes. What type of algae is giving you problems?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You need filtration and fewer fish. Your pond is large enough for about 4 goldfish, that's it. No koi.

You have an algae problem because you are way overstocked and there is no filter. There is more waste being produced than no amount of plants can handle.

Sorry to bring you bad news, but you need to make some major changes in your pond if you want to avoid a disaster.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Agree with above, your pond is too small for the amount of fish you have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emergency Dentist Katy Te

Latest Threads