What do you think?

Reaction score
Yellow Koi.jpg

I went to the pet store today and what do I see??? New koi in the tank! I had been holding out for a plain white butterfly, but they didn't have one. What they do have is a yellow butterfly (couldn't get a great picture) and a white with pale yellow spots and those big shiny scales.

Let me know what you think ..... I haven't bought them yet ....... just thinking about it. Should I hold out? Or get them?
White with shny scales.jpg

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yellow looks good...but, yellow is probably the least stable color on koi. i'd bet most wont be yellow a year or two down the road. i've had some nice yellow babies and some lose their color by the time they see the basement wintering pond..just my observation.

Reaction score
I just love RobAmy's yellow butterfly.

I need to talk to my hubby tonight. If we get these two we are probably looking at a second pond in a year or two when the koi start growing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That yellow is a beauty :) I have the same concern as Koiguy stated about the yellow. The other koi I bought today could lose the yellow, very pale. I hope not but it is a risk. If it does not then I will have one awesome fish. My wife thought it was beautiful. Maybe only get one and then you will have a chance for the white one. The platinum is awesome looking you will want one :)

Reaction score
I bought a really cool yellow Koi from petco about a year and a half ago. It is still holding its color. One thing I have noticed is that my 2 Petco Koi are not growing at anywhere near the rate that I see other people saying their Koi grow. An inch a month... a foot a year.... not my fish... probably because I only feed them on average once a day and the other people could be feeding 3 to 5 times a day.

Reaction score
I'm just going to take my chances. I'm buying both.

UGHHHH! See, I told you, I am like a puppy! I can't stop myself! I need to wait on exactly what I want and not get over excited when I see almost what I want.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
yellow looks good...but, yellow is probably the least stable color on koi. i'd bet most wont be yellow a year or two down the road. i've had some nice yellow babies and some lose their color by the time they see the basement wintering pond..just my observation.
Tell me about it KoiGuy :LOL: we bought a yellow and white koi that did just that
Priscilla this koi came from a dealership in Sommerset (hard water area) we are in a soft water area , within a week we were looking at a white koi that had gone from Yellow top to just above lateral line, with a white stripe around the lateral line and yellow bellow it to a white koi.:(
Try for the go-sanke variety i;e Red and black on white (sanke) , red and white (Kuhaku), Black and Red on white (showa), white and Black (Utsuri), they normally keep their colour and develope into stunning koi .

Dave
PS I may have no 2 and 3 back to front even after all these years I still get them mixed up :LOL:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Those are pretty. I dont have Koi but would love a yellow goldfish!

Reaction score
Hmm, so even though that fish is solid yellow, you're saying he might change to something else .......

Okay. I might buy the white butterfly with just a few yellow spots, if he grows out of the yellow, then I have a plain white butterfly, Great! If he keeps them - great!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hmm, so even though that fish is solid yellow, you're saying he might change to something else .......

Okay. I might buy the white butterfly with just a few yellow spots, if he grows out of the yellow, then I have a plain white butterfly, Great! If he keeps them - great!
I would not think that the solid yellow would change much. The ones with pale yellow and not much of it could change. Your your way of thinking is a win, win situation :)

Reaction score
I would not think that the solid yellow would change much. The ones with pale yellow and not much of it could change. Your your way of thinking is a win, win situation :)

Okay, so just to be CLEAR, the bright yellow koi will probably stay full yellow. BUT the white and yellow might change.

I'm okay with that. Back to buying both. Think I will get them on Monday.

Dave, I know you are going to cringe, but tell me what you think. They won't sell the koi for 5 days. They are treating the koi - for what I don't know. The guy said parasites and bacteria. He says he can guarantee me they are fine to go straight in the pond. I have a 10 gall tank, I can house them in that for a few weeks. Is that the best option? They are small, like 6 inches.

With these new koi, plus the stupid red platys, I MUST get the trickle tower filter up and running! Must!

BTW, I found a lady that lives about 5 minutes away with a pond and she's just as crazy about it as me! Think I have a new best friend! She may join this forum as well.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yellow is the least stable color in koi!!! now goldies, could be a different story! that doesnt mean you shouldnt give it a try if the notion hits ya...

Reaction score
Im not trying to discredit anyone else but I would go with Koiguy1969 on this, especially since the very knowledgeable Dave54 agrees with him. Koiguy1969 has raised what I would imagine is 10,000 or more Koi and would know what colors tend to hold and which tend to change. No offense to anyone else... I just don't know the extent of their knowledge is all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, so just to be CLEAR, the bright yellow koi will probably stay full yellow. BUT the white and yellow might change.

I'm okay with that. Back to buying both. Think I will get them on Monday.

Dave, I know you are going to cringe, but tell me what you think. They won't sell the koi for 5 days. They are treating the koi - for what I don't know. The guy said parasites and bacteria. He says he can guarantee me they are fine to go straight in the pond. I have a 10 gall tank, I can house them in that for a few weeks. Is that the best option? They are small, like 6 inches.

With these new koi, plus the stupid red platys, I MUST get the trickle tower filter up and running! Must!

BTW, I found a lady that lives about 5 minutes away with a pond and she's just as crazy about it as me! Think I have a new best friend! She may join this forum as well.
Can you get a larger QT facility up and running Priscilla ?
I dont like the way they are promising that they will be clear of both parasites and bacterial problems it takes longer than that to treat them the average treatment for parasites takes 7 days with bacterial ones longer, how long have they had them in the Caymen Islands i;e when did the shipment arrive they should be kept from resale for a month to combat any specific problems
if you do go ahead with this you must know wha your doing what filtration will your QT tank have because I suggest you keep them in QT as we do for another 4 weeks from buying them to where they acctually then end up in the general population of your pond :)
Lets put it this way you love the koi you already have right ?
Then you dont want to make a mistake that could potentially cost you to loose it :(

Dave;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mary00

Latest Threads