What is the best UV in your opinion??? and do I really need a pre-filter?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone, I am ready to finally break ground on my new Koi pond to expand the old one.
After all of my research I feel I am ready to order everything except the UV (and prefilter).
This is what I am planning to go with on my 6,000 gallon pond:
* GCTEK AlphaNANO 6.5 (oversized filter that is rated to 17,000 gallons) as I plan to heavily stock my pond.
* Either Matala or Aqua Ultraviolet UV (the Matala is stainless steel which I like and costs a lot less)
* Aquadine Rhino II bottom drain - one of them
* PerformancePro Artesion2 High Flow pump - 3/4 HP
* Aquascape spillway 22"
* potentially the AquaSieve2 Pre-filter
* Two - Aladdin no-niche skimmers
* I was also planning to get some Jump Start beneficial bacteria made by Koi Care Kennel to get everything going

Thank you everyone for your input!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You're way over my head with equipment, but I look forward to seeing your build in progress! I'm not a fan of UV filters, but that's just a personal preference and more geared to eco-pond keeping than koi pond keeping. Sounds like you're more the latter than the former.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One with a burned out bulb!

Reaction score
Country
United States
You're way over my head with equipment, but I look forward to seeing your build in progress! I'm not a fan of UV filters, but that's just a personal preference and more geared to eco-pond keeping than koi pond keeping. Sounds like you're more the latter than the former.
I don't have room for a bog so I have to go this route

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
YES i understand i was saying the BEST uv is one THAT DOES NOT WORK

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aladdin no-niche skimmers
IF IT HAS the floating weir good choice they pull only from the surface which is what is most important. i'd go with the black . i had a white helix floating weir and it stuck out like a sore thumb

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well it appears your shooting for the best, why are you not entertaining an rotating drum filter ?n if i remember correctly your in california there are a couple manufactures of rdf from there. so i imagine theres a chance of getting service when needed

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aquadine Rhino II bottom drain
I love the rhino's they work great. my mistake was putting it where the bubbles totally destroyed the view of the fish below. placement is key i'd sacrifice function and it's placement over loosing the viewing of the fish. Plus the bubbles push everything out in a circle so keep that in mind around the skimmers

Reaction score
Country
United States
yeah I do have a concern around it ruining the view. I guess you can change make it so you can adjust the strength of the bubbles and even turn them off during viewing? the waterfalls should make enough aeration on their own right? so the bubbles are more of a bonus than a necessity right?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My rhino air is rarely running . for just that reason. i have 5 waterfalls and two streams and a bakki shower oxygen is not something i worry about

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yeah I do have a concern around it ruining the view. I guess you can change make it so you can adjust the strength of the bubbles and even turn them off during viewing? the waterfalls should make enough aeration on their own right? so the bubbles are more of a bonus than a necessity right?
yes but still god to have on hot summer nights

Ask a Question