Best Way to Thin Water Lilies in Large Pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a large pond that has Yellow Floatingheart (Fringed Water Lily). They were in the pond when we bought the property and are not in any sort of container. I would like some of the lilies, but do not want them to get out of control. They die back every winter. My husband is VERY concerned about them getting out of control. What is the best way of keeping them in check. The pond's water source is up-mountain. The water has been directed into a man-made water-fall that empties into the pond. The overflow goes into a local river that runs through the property, so I'm reluctant to use any sort of chemical to reduce the number.

I'm attaching some pics of the pond and then of the lilies as they were today. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
IMG_4621.JPG
IMG_7962.JPG
IMG_4866.jpeg
IMG_4867.jpeg
IMG_4869.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Would you consider planting other color water lilies so you have a rainbow of colors? The lily pads help shade the pond and the lilies out compete the algae so the plants can help keep the pond healthy.

I have seen tools that cut lilies. There are tools specifically designed for larger ponds.

Since they die back, there is only so much they can grow in any one growing season.

Koi can eat them. Maybe you can add some koi? Do you have any fish in there?

You have a beautiful pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Would you consider planting other color water lilies so you have a rainbow of colors? The lily pads help shade the pond and the lilies out compete the algae so the plants can help keep the pond healthy.

I have seen tools that cut lilies. There are tools specifically designed for larger ponds.

Since they die back, there is only so much they can grow in any one growing season.

Koi can eat them. Maybe you can add some koi? Do you have any fish in there?

You have a beautiful pond.
KOI generally eat the roots only but if they are imbedded in the substrate they won't be able t0 get to them.

we used to make a steel frame with some tines about 3 feet wide tie on a bull rope and use a truck to rip them out

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
See there are those double posts again..............what is up?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
All that is happening on this site w/issues seems to be an off and on thing as it does not happen every time I post. Weird and annoying!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
See there are those double posts again..............what is up?
I reported them (3) last night, but they’re still there

(and every time I tried to post this, got an error message…..but here’s the post, LOL:LOL::LOL: — sent an error report )

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ian is apparently busy with life. He has a life other than a pond unlike my self. Love my pond . Hate weeding

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
He never posts so i call bs

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
These aren't like regular water lilies with tubers. They grow on runners. They are very easy to just yank out of the pond. I get in a couple of times a summer and just start pulling them up. You won't kill them - they will bounce right back. I know your pond is far larger than mine, but I've also found they will only go so deep. Once they hit the 2 foot mark they contain themselves.

Ask a Question