Best time to repot water lilies

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have two very nice water lilies that have about 6 blooms and the white one has 3 blooms. They are currently in those type of hanging pots and I was told that they should be in larger pots. when is the best time to repot them. These are the first two lilies have have been so productive and great in my small pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'D fertilize what you have now the way they are. Wait till the fall when they are no longer actively flowering then transplant them to a NEW oil changing pan 3 FERTILIZER TABS per pan and in kitty litter fragrance free

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Fall or spring - anytime they aren't actively growing. But to be honest, sometimes I get to it midsummer and I just take the hit. By August my lilies are so crazy full of flowers and pads that I can divide and repot and they barely miss a beat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Fall or spring - anytime they aren't actively growing. But to be honest, sometimes I get to it midsummer and I just take the hit. By August my lilies are so crazy full of flowers and pads that I can divide and repot and they barely miss a beat.
Good to know. Is 3 feet too deep? I'm thinking of adding a tray to the bottom of the pond now that I have had such good growth. My original pot is just a foot deep.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Good to know. Is 3 feet too deep?
That depends - some varieties (most of the common ones) don't mind the 3 foot depth but a few prefer to be a bit shallower. Choose wisely and you'll have happy plants.

I do find that I like to be able to move my pots higher early in the spring. They'll get started faster when they are up higher where the water is warmer from the sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That depends - some varieties (most of the common ones) don't mind the 3 foot depth but a few prefer to be a bit shallower. Choose wisely and you'll have happy plants.

I do find that I like to be able to move my pots higher early in the spring. They'll get started faster when they are up higher where the water is warmer from the sun.
Good to know, thanks for the springtime tip :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most of mine are 2 feet deep, some more some less.

I do like @Lisak1 I also bring mine shallow in the spring, they take off. Sink deeper in the fall , so if we get bad ice the tuber won't freeze.

I groom, fall and spring, off and on if one explodes yank and groom in the summer. They just keep growing.

My deer groomed lily. Ie all pads flowers eaten, yanked out of pot, has come back great. Mid summer deer grooming job.

Ask a Question