TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
If you are going for a kit, aquascape is the best one out there. Very durable and quality products.

However I will say that you could skip the kit, and piece together only the things that you need, likely saving some money.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you are going for a kit, aquascape is the best one out there. Very durable and quality products.

However I will say that you could skip the kit, and piece together only the things that you need, likely saving some money.
What would you consider the parts that come with the kit that would not be needed?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.! Great research on your pond build.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
What would you consider the parts that come with the kit that would not be needed?
A lot of people on here go for an intake bay rather than a skimmer, and some contstruct waterfalls in such ways that the waterfall box isnt needed. ( bog spilling into a waterfall for the most part ) That alone would save you a few hundred dollars, but of course it depends on if you would like to utilize those pieces or not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I'm building a pond too. I just started digging, and am still researching kits and parts so I won't be much help. I too looked at the Aquascape stuff. Have you looked at the kits from ThePondGuy.com?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm building a pond too. I just started digging, and am still researching kits and parts so I won't be much help. I too looked at the Aquascape stuff. Have you looked at the kits from ThePondGuy.com?

I have...I feel like I can keep it $1200 or less. It's hard to compare the kits because there isn't a ton of good info out there. It seems like most of the reviews materials are trying to get you to buy from them. The Aquascape looked like a good middle of the road based on liner, filtering within the falls and skimmer, etc. There are a few other brands that come under $1000 all such as the American Complete and Simply Ponds. I am very handy so I am considering the DIY option with the bog. It's just a lot of looking around to piece together the information and equipment.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A lot of people on here go for an intake bay rather than a skimmer, and some contstruct waterfalls in such ways that the waterfall box isnt needed. ( bog spilling into a waterfall for the most part ) That alone would save you a few hundred dollars, but of course it depends on if you would like to utilize those pieces or not.
I am interested in exploring this option more. Can you think of any images out there of a pond with that setup that would be similar to my space?

Reaction score
Country
United States

I see you're in NC too, what parts? I'm in Wesley Chapel SE of Charlotte.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
With the limits on space that you have, you could build your bog filter as a wall unit. Just hang a series of window-box style planters along the wall over the pond, and have your plumbing run through them (or drip down into them) with the water returning to the pond below. Fill them with gravel or clay kitty litter and plant them up.

Or you could do a "bog in a barrel" style filter, similar to the ones shown on the "Ozponds" videos on Youtube. Both styles would allow you to get the benefit of a bog filter without having to take up too much of your available space to do it. Not quite the same impact as a huge wetland filter, but so long as you don't have a lot of messy fish (like Koi), it should help with water quality.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought I'd let anyone who's interested know what direction I decide to go. I went with the kit below from Half Off Ponds. It was, to me, the best mix of quality components and the liner size I needed. When I received it, it looked like two bears fought with it for a while. I called them to let them know and they said they've had issues with those who handle it during the shipment process and to the let them know if anything is damaged or missing. Overall, it looks like a good kit. Got the hole dug today and am making good progress.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220403-211327_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220403-211327_Chrome.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 12

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
looks like a solid choice, and the pond hole seems to be coming along well!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gohip

Latest Threads