White looking fungas on around 10 fish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , I was hoping some body on here could give me some advice regarding the white looking fungus on some of my fish I have in my pond.
I would say around 10 small koi have it on them for the past few years now , it doesn’t seem to be bothering them but if any body has any idea what I could be I could try and treat it . Thanks
IMG_3288.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will take so more pictures tomorrow off them but they have these spots on other parts but are predominantly near there gills . Thanks for your reply!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_3306.jpeg
IMG_3299.jpeg
IMG_3304.jpeg
IMG_3307.jpeg

These are some more images , it hard to take when there moving around the patch’s are not just over their heads , any ideas??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's a fungal growth, most likely caused by poor water quality. How many fish, what type and how many gallons of water?

There are treatments, but you really need to address the cause as well. These appear to be large fish which require large volumes of water to maintain health.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pond is around 3 thousand litres , the growths only seem to be on the younger koi which were born in the pond, the water is crystal clear and the filters in the filter box get changed regularly , I have lots of air going in also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's common to think that clear water is healthy water. That is far from true. Toxins like ammonia and nitrite cannot be seen. Testing the water is the only way to know the real condition of the water.

If you don't have them, please get liquid type tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and KH. If you post the results here we will get a better picture of what is happening with your pond.

Also, never, ever change out the filters and throw them out. Filters contain the majority of the beneficial bacteria in the pond and that is what processes those toxins into the safer nitrate. By tossing them, you will force the pond to go through the nitrogen cycle again and that can be very stressful, even deadly, for the fish. Plenty of info online about the nitrogen cycle.

If your filters are some type that can't be cleaned (and only use dechlorinated water to clean them), or if they are completely worn out, change them out, but leave the old ones in the pond where water will run through them for several weeks to preserve that bacteria. That will give the new filters the time they need to grow it's own bacteria.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply’s , I did a calculation and the pond is actually 4500 liters , I will get a water tester and post results, there is 3 fish with the white patches on them , it’ doesn’t seem to be bothering them and they have had these for a couple of years now the fish are about 6 inches in length and I would say I have a total of around 10 fish in there .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So about 1200 gallons. Still much too small for that fish load. Koi need a lot of space and produce a huge amount of waste.

You have 6 inch koi that have been spawning and producing young? Those would be pretty stunted adult koi, if that is the case.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So about 1200 gallons. Still much too small for that fish load. Koi need a lot of space and produce a huge amount of waste.

You have 6 inch koi that have been spawning and producing young? Those would be pretty stunted adult koi, if that is the case.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if it's a bacterial fungus you may get lucky and Aquaprazzi may kill it . it is a very safe product even if slightly overdosed. But while it may solve the spots from your fish there is a problem that is usually a sign of poor filtration or over stocking and over feeding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you I will order the aquaprazzi, and see how it goes ! The fish what have the fungus on them were born in the pond and are about 6 inches long , they haven’t spawned . The filter box , I can’t remember how many litres it can handle but it was way over the size of the pond , I am still awaiting kit to test water but thanks for the input !

Ask a Question