White cottony film on my turtles head while brumating under water

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post about the turtle in my koi pond.

I have a red eared slider turtle in my koi pool/pond. There is a white fuzzy film that has grown on his head, neck and over his eyes. The rest of him looks normal. Does anybody know what this is? If it's safe for him? This morning the fish moved him out of his spot and have been eating on him. I hope they don't injur him. They're probably helping him out but just want to make sure.

Thank you

Video of turtle

Video of fish eating off him
They're at the bottom of the video.

Attachments

• 20231229_082309.jpg
    20231229_082309.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20231229_082259.jpg
    20231229_082259.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Country
United States
Absolutely, it is fine to discuss pond turtles here. I will only address your turtle question. Some of the other members might want to assist with the Koi stocking level. I keep Red Ear Sliders (RES). Your turtle looks sick (or dead) but I can't tell from the images. It is normal for an RES to shed skin but not like what you are seeing. First a couple of observations:
I have never seen an RES overwintering with its head and limbs so exposed. They tend to 'button up' when overwintering.
I have never seen a healthy RES completely coated with slime like that.
An overwintering RES will 'take off' and relocate if greatly disturbed. The fact that this turtle does not react to the Koi pestering it causes me great worry.
The basking platform is entirely too small for a turtle that size.
So, a couple of questions:
How cold is you water?
When was the last time you saw the turtle bask or move on its own?
Personally, I would move the turtle indoors for the winter and seek the assistance of a (reptile friendly) veterinarian.
In the spring, I would also find the turtle its own quarters. I will happily assist with some ideas.
Please let us know how it goes.
Happy New Year!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Jhn May be able to help out a bit more . but i would have to agree i'd bring him in and look into a potasium pergonite dip. thats a fungus by the looks of it . and if you do or don't bring him in for the winter get some leaves and some logs/limbs for the turtle to dig under

Reaction score
Country
United States
I brought it to the local vet and they said he's dead. I think they just visually looked at him. He is completely unresponsive. Limbs still move easily though. He's had his limbs out like this for like a month or more. But it has been unresponsive for a while. I just thought he was brumating. I've vacuumed the pool and I once sucked his head a little bit and it didn't respond... the water is 50°. The film started a few days ago. The vet said the fungus was a sure sign it's deceased. I don't understand why he died.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Sorry for your loss with the turtle. Ime turtles can get some fungus going on their skin during brumation, but it seems to happen if they are stressed ie not having cover to brumate in like a log, cave, mulm on the pond bottom.

In the future, even in the winter months, turtles move around just Very slowly. Also, skin fungus and shell fungus if not too far along can be cured by a dip in saltwater and dry docking the turtle for awhile. Have even brought one back from the brink a few years back, but as you have learned they need to be observed during the brumate on period as they are in a state, akin to being close to death and th8ngs can go sideways quickly with them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry for your loss with the turtle. Ime turtles can get some fungus going on their skin during brumation, but it seems to happen if they are stressed ie not having cover to brumate in like a log, cave, mulm on the pond bottom.

In the future, even in the winter months, turtles move around just Very slowly. Also, skin fungus and shell fungus if not too far along can be cured by a dip in saltwater and dry docking the turtle for awhile. Have even brought one back from the brink a few years back, but as you have learned they need to be observed during the brumate on period as they are in a state, akin to being close to death and th8ngs can go sideways quickly with them.
Thank you

Ask a Question