Who is guilty? May experts help me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Believe it or not weve never bread our koi yet but from years of reading and watchng I know that just hoping everything will come together propperly often doesnt work out in your favour .
Koi Guy is the man you really should sit down and chat with he has it off to a tee .
We are hoping ourselves that this year the QT tank can be put to good use when we attempt to breed for the first attempt .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I was talking with my friend Lee about this the other day he goes for a more natural approach to culling by leaving fry in the pond to slowly mature.
He says this way only the fittest survive, mind you his pond is huge so there are places to hide, the slowest die and the fittest survive.
However he admits he cant control what the survivors will look like nor their colouration or body shape and has been moving towards controled spawning, then selection, culling, re-selection, culling etc until like koiguy he ends up with the results he wants .

Dave

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
It could also be that the food you are feeding might be lacking ingredients which prevent scoliosis. I've noticed the same thing in my spawns but only as they get larger. There will be a few out of a hundred where the peduncle (part where tail fin is attached to the body of the Koi) starts bending up. Feeding oranges, grapefruits and watermelon is said to stop this from happening. I cut the oranges and grapefruit in half and then in thin slices. I do the same thing with the water lemon with thicker slices and I also remove the seeds. I feed some of these fruits a few times a week. Be careful with the grapefruit because their poor little mouths can become burnt.

Your's Koily, Lorraine

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Koilady lives just north of Newmarket, I think.......correct me if I'm wrong.

Ask a Question