plan on pretty big Koi Pond, maybe 1200 gal

Reaction score
Country
United States
Plan on a Koi pond, How should Plumbing chain go? underwater pump to filter then waterfalls? or draw water through filter, placing pump after filter, then to falls? Also how deep? For Central New Jersey

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Spiderhaze227 !

You say "pretty big koi pond" - but 1200 gallons is actually on the small side for koi. Many people say you need 1000 gallons for the FIRST koi. A pond that size would be perfect for goldfish, though.

As far as how deep - 24 inches is the standard minimum depth here in Chicago and fish do fine. My own pond is just over 3 feet deep. Deep is good, but overall volume and surface area are considerations as well.

And plumbing is a matter of choice- some prefer an in-water pump; others use an external. Most would recommend some type of pre-filter before the pump to keep the pump from clogging.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do you maybe mean 12 thousand gallons .Mine is just over 5000 gallons and a little over 4 feet deep .Koi need lots of aeration also .So consider an air pump as they get bigger it will help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would recommend lots of homework and tons of looking at what others have done. What worked for them what didn't. How what you want will apply to your area/space. In my mind the first important steps are...

location: where do you want it to be, can you see it, will you have fast easy access to it does it put your fish at risk.

Size and shape: you mentioned 1200, will this be too small when you find 4 different types of koi that you fall in love with. Smaller the pond the harder to keep more fish in it and keep the water quality where it needs to be

Filtration type bog style vs mechanical, or a combination of both. Where will it sit how much space will it need. If it's mechanical can it be made to look nice or hidden to not distract from the pond.

Style: Do you want a natural look with large rocks fitting for a natural environment shaped in a way that looks like it blends into the environment or like you stepped into a jungle oasis. Or a sleek modern look with few plants and rocks and modern lines

Then once you figured these elements study each decision in depth to make it exactly what you want.

Keep in mind some things you can spend less and some require you to not cut corners. Lime your liner this needs to be high quality and more than the size you need. And round the corners if you do cut it. :) looking forward to the build best of luck.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
and add getting electricity to it and on a dedicated breaker or 2 and more outlets than you think you will need .Remember paying 1 time is better than 2 or 3 times

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-10-18_9-37-17.gif
@Spiderhaze227

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
My pond in South Jersey is 32" deep. My fish overwinter fine in there.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Ditto what the others have said.

Yes, 1200 gallons is small for a koi pond and you would only be able to keep maybe 2 in that size without running the risk of water quality issues. That size is better for goldfish.

Your question seems a little vague......as to how to plumb it. There are different types of pond set-ups, and no 2 are exactly alike. I have a submersible pump, so my water goes from pump to filter (filter and a small bog) then returns to pond. It’s very simple. With an external pump I think you will have water going to the filtration first. Any other aspects will depend on what you plan to include in your system. Dedicated koi ponds (DKP) tend to be much more complicated and can have settlement tanks, sieves, multiple in-line filters (mechanical as well as biological), etc., etc. So maybe you do need to do some home work and decide what you want your filtration/pump system to do for you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome to the forum
mwave.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Plan on a Koi pond, How should Plumbing chain go? underwater pump to filter then waterfalls? or draw water through filter, placing pump after filter, then to falls? Also how deep? For Central New Jersey
Hi and welcome! Ditto the other replies. I have a 2500 gallon pond and 10 years experience and just recently took the plunge with two small Koi. Having a pond is no fun when the fish waste causes disease and death to your fish because it's not properly balanced with regards to the nitrogen cycle. I would start with some goldfish and see how that goes first. Sarasa comets and Shubunkins can come in beautiful colors and be very fun to own.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Koi need lots of aeration also .So consider an air pump as they get bigger it will help
If you make a water fall and stream don't worry about the aeration so much I spent some coin on the air bladder and 120 air pump and never use it . And I have never seen a fish at the surface gasping for air.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you make a water fall and stream don't worry about the aeration so much I spent some coin on the air bladder and 120 air pump and never use it . And I have never seen a fish at the surface gasping for air.
Unless you plan to shut the waterfall off periodically.

Ask a Question