Winter is Coming

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OK - I looked at your other postings. It looks like your pond is around 160 gallons. I don't know that I would try to keep a pond that small running for the winter. That volume of water could easily freeze solid if the winter gets cold enough. And it can't be more than 18 inches deep, correct? Just guessing here...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I double them up and because my panels had a tiny damaged spot from the factory they were only 3 dollar for a 2 foot by 8 foot panel .They come in 4 x8 panels also
101_1809.JPG

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@MoonShadows , Pond Breather works up to 15" of ice. Your 6a so I'd guess if you can keep external lines and filters from freezing up, keep the water circulating, and use the breather...
Nothing I find really pertains to me for preparations for winter. My little pond definitely needs some kind of heater. Can I get some feedback on what people here would do for a small pond like mine? I plan to run the filter and air all winter long. Is there a certain temperature I should be shooting for? Keep in mind my area usually isn't terrible maybe a week or two at 0 degrees.
when you say 0 degrees, do you mean Fahrenheit?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@IPA, yes he means Fahrenheit, he lives in the same state as addy and I do. Although, the temp. in Maryland varies if you live in western MD in the mountains as opposed to the eastern portion.

Lisa, makes an excellent point if his pond is only around 160 gallons easiest thing to do is bring the fish inside for the winter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
As long as hole in the ice .you could make a hoop house to help warm the pond .Colleen did it last winter for the first time and was impressed and she lives in Canada

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That is a concern of mine this first winter season with my pond. Since my pond is above ground, about six feet across and 30 inches deep, I keep going back and forth over whether I should run the two aerators with a pond heater or put a stock tank in my basement, move the fish in there, and just shut the pond down since I have no idea how much will freeze.

you could also plan on using bales of hay and insulate the perimeter of your pond. This would help with heat loss and provide a pseudo substrate. You could also insulate over top with aluminum/metal conduit frame and heavy clear plastic sheeting. This by itself would go a long way to keeping the ice thickness down. As an emergency device, I have a cattle trough heater for those moments when either the aerator or pondbreather fails, so I can melt a hole.

Too, making a stock tank inside would be easy enough if your fish load isn't high. For me, too many fish to provide for and that's why I went deep and underground. Meyer may be able to tell you how much you'll be battling 'above ground freezing effects'.

I'm lucky here in 8a I guess but was thinking about this situation. I think Brokensword's suggestion is good but what about the thick pink panels they sell at the home improvement stores, next wrap that in a "blanket" of something else, then wrapped in black plastic to keep out moisture. I suppose the biggest concern is the external water lines but everything is in the pond I think, right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm lucky here in 8a I guess but was thinking about this situation. I think Brokensword's suggestion is good but what about the thick pink panels they sell at the home improvement stores, next wrap that in a "blanket" of something else, then wrapped in black plastic to keep out moisture. I suppose the biggest concern is the external water lines but everything is in the pond I think, right?

something more permanent can always be employed; I suggested the hay because it's cheap and dense, plus easily portable/moveable. Then having a 'hoop house' built from curved conduit and plastic wrapped would keep enough heat in that I doubt the pond would ever freeze solid. And IF there's any piping near/under the structure, both should be protected. That said, I'd make sure no water was in them, especially any 'trap' points.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thing is you need light to also to get into the pond to warm it up .I know I don't like total darkness .

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
something more permanent can always be employed; I suggested the hay because it's cheap and dense, plus easily portable/moveable. Then having a 'hoop house' built from curved conduit and plastic wrapped would keep enough heat in that I doubt the pond would ever freeze solid. And IF there's any piping near/under the structure, both should be protected. That said, I'd make sure no water was in them, especially any 'trap' points.
I actually really like the hay because in spring you can use it to cover any bare spots or in the garden as mulch.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I don't want to use hay because it is a rodent winter home. Hard board (pink) insulation would be difficult to seal because of the "Lincoln log" corners of my hexagonal pond. What I am actually thinking about, if I don't put them in a stock tank in my cellar, is to use Reflectix Insulation and clear plastic over the top.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry guys for the lack of response. Usually my phone notifies me of new posts. For some reason it has stopped. I thank you very much for all your input. I had not considered bringing the fish inside but had considered a fish tank. So I guess I can kill two birds with one stone. I think that is a great idea until I get a new deeper pond. I am thinking of a pond around 1500 gallons and around 4 feet deep.

Ask a Question