Winterizing 300g Stock Tank

MDJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am just getting all of my ducks in a row before I commit to anything. I am considering getting a 300g stock tank (Rubbermaid, 69 in. x 63-1/4 in. x 25 in.). However, being in Michigan, the winters can be quite bad. This winter, not so much, but a few winters ago we reached far into the negatives. Since this tank would be too shallow to stay unfrozen, what would be the best way to keep it warm? Would aquarium heaters work?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Maybe wrap it in insulation. Not sure you’re going to be able to “keep it warm,” so your goal might be to keep it from freezing, and/or keeping a hole in the ice for gas exchange. They make a “pond breather” that seems to work well for that. No, I personally don’t think an aquarium heater will help you.

Do you have anything in the stock tank: fish, plants?

MDJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay! I'm gonna look into that. I just don't want my fish to become an ice cube. I do not have the tank yet as I am still in the planning phase, but I am doing this all for my feeder rescues, a common and a comet goldfish. When I set it up, sometime in the spring, they will be all that are in there. Although, I have been thinking about mosquito fish, but I need to do more research on them.

As far as plants, I have no clue. I have decided that when I set it up in the spring that I will go to my local pond supplies store and get their recommendations.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am just getting all of my ducks in a row before I commit to anything. I am considering getting a 300g stock tank (Rubbermaid, 69 in. x 63-1/4 in. x 25 in.). However, being in Michigan, the winters can be quite bad. This winter, not so much, but a few winters ago we reached far into the negatives. Since this tank would be too shallow to stay unfrozen, what would be the best way to keep it warm? Would aquarium heaters work?
Will the pond be above ground or dug in?

Reaction score
I have exactly that pond, it is buried in the ground. Never freezes, I keep it well aerated, water never gets close to freezing. Leave smaller fish all winter
Pull 7 fish that have gotten large in those years and keep them in tanks in garage.
In spring I set up a 70gal bog filter/water fall and put the big fish back in for about 7 month.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a 300 gallon stock tank, buried, no fish unless they get there by accident, but full of lotus. They have survived many winters. Off and on we do get a cold one and the surface freezes solid.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would get the stuff tuff one instead .It has straight sides and is a heavy rubber .I have 4 of them and have had them for about 6 or 7 years now

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@MDJ they do make stock tank heaters and you could have one for just in case.
Don't think they are very expensive.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have tuff stuff filters for my pond

Attachments

• 100_4281.JPG
    100_4281.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 405
  • 100_4278.JPG
    100_4278.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 347
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello this is what I did for my 300 gallon stock pound that is full of turtles I placed heavy duty tarp's around the pond and taped them on with heavy duty duck tape I put one over the whole pond with the filter running inside I placed a large fish heater that is for a 300 gallon fish tank plus a small one as well. The turtles were keep nice and snugged. This will be my second year. For this

Ask a Question