First winter for our Northeast Ohio small pond - aerator needed??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We are a little late in figuring this out, but I've read too much online and now I'm more unsure of what to do than before. We just got our pond completely finished in early September and then winter came early. The pond is approximately 500 gallons, and two feet deep with a ledge that's about 1 foot under the surface. We have a submerged pump encased in filter material hooked to a bubbler rock which produces a lot of water movement. We've had ice forming on the surface and the bubbler is still going strong so far, but we don't want anything to freeze and break. (The bubbler rock sits on another ledge.) We are pretty sure we need to unhook and remove the pump, but we aren't sure if we need an aerator, or if just a deicer will be sufficient for the winter.

Attachments

• 40765086_10217265071647091_2142724025372114944_n.jpg
    40765086_10217265071647091_2142724025372114944_n.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 334

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The pond is approximately 500 gallons, and two feet deep with a ledge that's about 1 foot under the surface.

It doesn't seem like 500 gallons, based on the image, but I could be wrong.
I like all the butterflyweed!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Probably for your size pond the best thing would be to put a cover over it and keep it running.
Actually, if there are no fish in it and the pump sits on the bottom, you might be fine just letting the pump run and disconnect it from the hose to the rock.

It depends on how much wind the pond is exposed to.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Probably for your size pond the best thing would be to put a cover over it and keep it running.
Cover it with what, and how does that keep it from freezing?
Actually, if there are no fish in it and the pump sits on the bottom, you might be fine just letting the pump run and disconnect it from the hose to the rock.

It depends on how much wind the pond is exposed to.

There are 7 small goldfish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
It doesn't seem like 500 gallons, based on the image, but I could be wrong.
I like all the butterflyweed!
Thank you! We raised and released 127 Monarch butterflies this summer. It’s hard to get an exact calculation of gallons because of the ledges and the rocks we lined it with.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Cover it with what, and how does that keep it from freezing?
There are 7 small goldfish.
A cover is a frame made of of plastic tubing or wood framing with a plastic sheet over the top.
Covers help prevent freezing because they eliminate wind and reduce evaporation at the pond surface.
A pond's heat loss is greatest at the pond surface through evaporation. Covers cost nothing to run.

Everyone's pond is different because each pond is exposed to different weather conditions.
Your main objective is to make sure that the pond water is able to process gas exchange during the winter.
Some people use an airstone, some a floating heater, some a pond breather (your pond is too shallow for that), some use a cover and of course some use a combination.

The main thing is to be aware how exposed your pond is to winter's cold dry wind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm
We are a little late in figuring this out, but I've read too much online and now I'm more unsure of what to do than before. We just got our pond completely finished in early September and then winter came early. The pond is approximately 500 gallons, and two feet deep with a ledge that's about 1 foot under the surface. We have a submerged pump encased in filter material hooked to a bubbler rock which produces a lot of water movement. We've had ice forming on the surface and the bubbler is still going strong so far, but we don't want anything to freeze and break. (The bubbler rock sits on another ledge.) We are pretty sure we need to unhook and remove the pump, but we aren't sure if we need an aerator, or if just a deicer will be sufficient for the winter.
North of Dayton....all I do is put a 600 GPh pump in the bottom to keep the water circulating . It moves the surface and never freezes solid

Reaction score
We’re in Geauga County and we just put a bubbler in for the winter.

Ask a Question