winterising japanese horsetail

Reaction score
hell everyone, can anybody give me any advice about keeping japanese horsetail over winter ? does it die back and come through next year ? does it keep ist foilage ? do i leave it in the pond or take it out ? will it tolerate the ice ? how hardy is it, it is the first time i have had this plant so dont know much about it, thankyou japanese_horsetail1_sm.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wow I like that! on my plant list for next year.......

According to what I read, it is hardy, just leave it and it will do fine. My rushes which are similar, froze in the bog and came back beautifully, even stayed green for the winter. It appears the horsetail stays green all winter also.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have horsetail and it looks like that and wonder if it's the same .Mine did not do good this year because of the heat .I just cut the tops off mine and put them in the basement in a bucket of water .They come back every year .I just cut them back because of the heat .The nursery guy told me it was better to do it now as it could rot if I didn't .I had brought the plant down from the house in New Jersey and think it is not suited well for the hot weather down here .My neighbor said I must have left shoots behind because it came up again .I had a small natural stream that ran through my property there and planted it by that and just cut it back every winter and left it and it always came back .I guess because the water up there was always moving

Reaction score
thanks guys, i maybe just leave it in there then and see how it does ! if it doesnt make it i can get them cheap from the garden store, i dont have a basement, and even in the green house the water would freeze

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
dont know anything about them...but maybe theyre like iris' ...iris produce an enzyme that keeps the rootball from freezing! you can let a iris rootball float and freeze into the ice. but, just to be safe, i would sink them ito the deep area in the pond!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my tag from NJ said it was a drawf so not sure it was the same but found this on another site .Good info on the sight about bog plants too addy

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 316

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hey they have some great pics of lotus and have a pond game how cute .You feed the fish by clicking your mouse LOL

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
they have some really interesting fish for the pond including cuties like ranchu's and panda butterfly

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Mogsie I do not have that exact one but my other rushes do just fine in the pond over winter. The tops will die back, just trim them off in spring. However the roots on mine don't completely freeze as they are in about 8" of water. I say give it a try.

Reaction score
yeah thanks for the info ! mine is not a miniature it is about 3 feet high, its root crown is about 6 inches deep do i will leave it in and see how it does, !

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
dont know anything about them...but maybe theyre like iris' ...iris produce an enzyme that keeps the rootball from freezing! you can let a iris rootball float and freeze into the ice. but, just to be safe, i would sink them ito the deep area in the pond!

My iris are in about 10 inches of water, the ice was 8 inches deep, I know they froze, but they stayed green all winter and not one died.
The rush I had in flower pots on the deck, I know that froze solid, they stayed green all winter and just started growing again when the pots melted. also had some in the bog.

my tag from NJ said it was a drawf so not sure it was the same but found this on another site .Good info on the sight about bog plants too addy

Thanks sissy will check it out.

Ask a Question