Lost my big Japanese koi

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I think the hawks got it, I have seen them around past week and got 3 attacks. 2 koi showed some small cuts and scrapes but ok now the big black beauty koi is missing. Either taken or is injured and won't come out.

I'm going to have to net the pond which will be hell as it's 35x21'. OR maybe bring them inside for the winter early.

Had the Iphone video on all last night and dusk to dawn no herons or anything but maybe they didn't show as no fish in view as they are hiding from last attack.

3 years no problems with the scarecrow sprinklers now this! Maybe the desire to fatten up before winter out weighs any fear?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm so sorry Wayne.

The one thing that really dropped bird attacks for me was sun shades. Now mine isn't anywhere near as big as yours but I am sporting a 25x25 over mine.

In your case I would do 2 18x18 because one large one is crazy expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Sundale-Outd...id=1535435329&sr=8-3&keywords=sun+shade+18x18

You would need six 6x6x12 posts from lowes, some metal hooks and bury them 2 feet down in concrete. I'm in Dallas which believe it or not is more windy than Chicago and these suckers don't move.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/6-in-x-6-in-x-12-ft-2-Pressure-Treated-Timber-6330254/100010238

Make sure to put a sealant on the posts for the weather but that should really help.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh, boy. Hopefully your big fish is just hiding. I would think the last one they would take is a black one - we have a big black koi and he's tough to see in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hopefully he is hiding! I have told this story before -- but I had a really big aquarium and had a sick looking fish disappear for months. I was sure he jumped out and was eaten by my cats. (Or that he died and was eaten by other fish.) I looked and looked and looked for him everywhere in that tank - for an extended period. One day, he shows up - looking healthy and well. It was as if he'd gone on a vacation somewhere. We named him Lazarus Fish. I hope your koi does the same!!!!! Fish really are good hiders.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I had a man tell me a similar story about a koi in his pond - he looked out the window and saw a heron stabbing at his fish. He ran out the door just as it took off with the fish in it's beak. He startled the bird enough that it dropped the fish back in the pond. He saw it sink so he knew it was there, but when he didn't see it again he assumed it was dead. SIX MONTHS LATER, there it was, swimming around as if nothing had happened. They can definitely hide for a LONG time!

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Oh, boy. Hopefully your big fish is just hiding. I would think the last one they would take is a black one - we have a big black koi and he's tough to see in the pond.
But it's the same old story, the cutest most friendly favorite koi just sitting by you waiting for food are the first targets!

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I had a man tell me a similar story about a koi in his pond - he looked out the window and saw a heron stabbing at his fish. He ran out the door just as it took off with the fish in it's beak. He startled the bird enough that it dropped the fish back in the pond. He saw it sink so he knew it was there, but when he didn't see it again he assumed it was dead. SIX MONTHS LATER, there it was, swimming around as if nothing had happened. They can definitely hide for a LONG time!
Cool!

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Sorry to hear.
Nice to see you back on the forum.

Thanks Mitch and all. I did try to log in in the spring time and PW didn't work and then got busy with other stuff. All the good advice gathered here kept my koi and golds safe and happy:)

Now this koi is not the Petsmart cheap one, it's a real Japanese koi and so beautiful. Black top with glimmering gold, silvers, whites, grey down the sides. Not the biggest koi but a beauty to me. I also love my Petsmart cheap guys also so no discrimination lol.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hopefully he is hiding! I have told this story before -- but I had a really big aquarium and had a sick looking fish disappear for months. I was sure he jumped out and was eaten by my cats. (Or that he died and was eaten by other fish.) I looked and looked and looked for him everywhere in that tank - for an extended period. One day, he shows up - looking healthy and well. It was as if he'd gone on a vacation somewhere. We named him Lazarus Fish. I hope your koi does the same!!!!! Fish really are good hiders.
I do have lots of hiding spaces and 1 at 4' depth.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I'm so sorry Wayne.

The one thing that really dropped bird attacks for me was sun shades. Now mine isn't anywhere near as big as yours but I am sporting a 25x25 over mine.

In your case I would do 2 18x18 because one large one is crazy expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Sundale-Outd...id=1535435329&sr=8-3&keywords=sun+shade+18x18

You would need six 6x6x12 posts from lowes, some metal hooks and bury them 2 feet down in concrete. I'm in Dallas which believe it or not is more windy than Chicago and these suckers don't move.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/6-in-x-6-in-x-12-ft-2-Pressure-Treated-Timber-6330254/100010238

Make sure to put a sealant on the posts for the weather but that should really help.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Interesting, got any pics?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I agree with @texmaster , and use shade sails. We installed one when we lost a large shade tree a few years back, but I believe it obscures the view of the pond as well. I also have my pond netted......it's not tucked in tight as a drum, as it does have some openings, but it's another layer of protection .

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well the black guy is back from hiding with a 2nd wound. I think i'll change his name from blacky to 9 lives.

The hawks were right above the pond today at 100 yards up waiting for them to come out. Later as the big koi came out and I went inside, one hawk was rooftop height over the property line circling for another attack. Chased it away and later they circled every 15 min to see if anyone around. Crazy smart creatures.

Now to find some netting locally or i'll be baby sitting them at 4:30 am until dusk tomorrow.

Ask a Question