Yagi antennae?

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any experience using a Yagi antennae to pick up weak cell phone or internet signals?

Reaction score
I've built a few homemade yagi antennas for 2 meter amateur radio. The principal is the same. A yagi is simply a directional antenna, so if you are already getting some sort of weak signal you should be able to increase the signal strength by using a yagi antenna and focusing it in the direction the signal is coming from.
And yeah, I also have wireless internet that utilizes a directional antenna to send and receive signals from another relay antenna tower.

Reaction score
Way down in Mexico our house is solid blocks about 6" thick with additional stucco inside and out. We also have a 9 foot wall around our house so the best place to pick up a phone signal is in front of the window and it is spotty at best.

I am going to bring a Yagi antennae with us when we return but don't know much about it. One said it was a 4Ghz but I believe I need a 2.5 Ghz or perhaps a dual frequency as 2.5 is getting very crowded.

Our phone is Moviestar which says 800 and 1900 and we get internet through it but also want to see if we can get a wifi signal perhaps through Infintium.

From what I have read I need a dual frequency Yagi and some type of signal booster in the house for the phone. But to switch it to wifi if I find a carrier that will reach us I think a coaxial splitter with a switch to a router will be necessary.

Is there a signal amplifier for wifi?

I have also read that there needs to be 50' between the antennae and the signal amplifier to prevent feedback. I'm sure I am not the only one here with poor phone or internet signal.

Reaction score
How far is your closest cell tower and what are the output specs of the tower?
That I don't know. Cordoba is about 8 km away and there are cell towers in the downtown area. As far as output specs even those who work for the phone companies give you a blank look when you ask technical questions. One was good enough to come to my porch and try for over an hour to get a signal. I had an omnidirectional antennae mounted on a pole but didn't know at the time that I needed a high gain directional antennae and obviously neither did he.

There may be a closer cell tower on the highway but I will have to be there to see. I also don't know about a signal strength meter other than rotating the antennae and looking at the bars on the phone.

As you can see, my knowledge on the subject is lacking.

Reaction score
Thanks Mitch. Unfortunately this map depends on uploads from members and there are none in my area as of yet but I will upload locations when I get there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I have 2 different companies cell towers about 12km away from my location, so what I did was split the direction of the yagi antenna between the 2 towers. I have accounts with both companies. My setup has a couple of LED lights that tell me when I have a good connection, and a couple of adjustable screws where I can adjust the gain. It's pretty much a set it and forget it type of setup.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I had no signal in my apartment on the farm , it's in a metal building ! I had to go outside to get a call .
I bought a cell booster on eBay . The short little antenna sits on the roof the other part is inside it works great

Reaction score
I have 2 different companies cell towers about 12km away from my location, so what I did was split the direction of the yagi antenna between the 2 towers. I have accounts with both companies. My setup has a couple of LED lights that tell me when I have a good connection, and a couple of adjustable screws where I can adjust the gain. It's pretty much a set it and forget it type of setup.
By setup do you mean an indoor receiver or signal amplifier? Can you give me a link or the name of the particular piece of equipment? I want to have what I need before I return to Mexico as everything can be very difficult to obtain there and the shipping and taxes on imports are terrible. I really appreciate this input because having a good phone signal is very important, we live in the country outside of town.

Reaction score
I had no signal in my apartment on the farm , it's in a metal building ! I had to go outside to get a call .
I bought a cell booster on eBay . The short little antenna sits on the roof the other part is inside it works great
I'm afraid it's going to take a Yagi where I live which is OK. I just need to make sure that I purchase the right equipment that is compatible with the cell phone and wifi service.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
This is the amplifier I have. It's 10 years old now, so it's probably been updated by a new model.
https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/ag-soho-65-amplifier-only-65db-dual-band-805045/

I have an exterior mounted yagi antenna for reception and an interior antenna for transmission. Both attach to the amplifier in the link.
You can get a more or less powerful amplifier depending on how much area you want to cover.

Reaction score
Thank you Mitch, I have actually been virtually driving the roads near my home and have located two towers. Our friend Julian lives nearby and we get a good signal at his house so I looked down the roads and "saw" a cell tower nearby that he must be using because they are very sparse here. I opened another Google Maps beside it with my house and we are only about 2 miles from that tower and it is high in elevation. There is another about 6 miles to the northwest.

Our carrier Moviestar uses 1900 MHz and 850 MHz for 3g and 1900 MHz for 4g LTE.

The choices for an antenna are 800, 800/850/900 and 850/1900 and there lies my current confusion, what antenna do I need?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mochosla

Latest Threads