Zone 5 Questions about plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just completing my pond. Q. Is it too late in the year to add fish?
Pond is 4' deep, I don't think it will freeze to bottom. Q. Am I wrong?
Q. What about plants? I think it's too late in the year, unless it's a very hard plant. Q. Any hardy plant recommendations?
Thanks

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
at this point I do not believe it is to late to add fish, and especially if your pond really is four feet deep, it will not have any problems with freezing to the bottom, but you may want an air stone to keep a hole in the ice during winter.

I am no expert on plants though, so I will leave that up to someone else :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1599948289422.gif
@Lillypad
Have you allowed your pond water to cycle?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
it's not too late, all depending on where you're at. Personally, I'd not acclimate new fish to a pond if the water temp was below 50 deg F as they're then already beginning to slow down. Depends too on where your fish are coming from (water temp, etc, which state, or local).

Google info re typical ice thickness of ponds/lakes in your area and yo'll know but 4' is more than enough. Typically here in Michigan, the ice won't get more than 14" in a bad year. It also depends on how much of your pond is 'above ground'. If all is below, then the above applies.

Ask a Question