All 10 of my koi are sitting on the bottom

Reaction score
All of the sudden alll of the koi in my pond are sitting on the bottom. Very much like they do in winter. 2 of my fish last week developed small red dots (about the size of a pencil eraser. so i salted and added fluke tabs; i also began feeding medikoi to all of them. Did a 20% water change after 48 hrs (last monday) and did another water change yesterday afternoon (no more salt added during the water changes). I checked water parameters and they look good. Am-0, Nit-0, pH-6.5; pond is ~1,000 gallons, 40 gallon biofilter, and i have 10 fish, ranging from 6" to about 15". why are they acting this way?

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
What is the water temp? They may be trying to stay cool!

My guys were doing a lot of hiding yesterday. I was cleaning the pond, and then had to backwash and refill.

The weather has been really warm and the water temp at the top of my 6' deep pond was 84 degrees. After I added a good 6"-8" of water to make up for what was removed in the backwash and what has evaporated this past week...

All the fishies came out to play and frolic!

They liked the cool water I figgure!

BTW... water is chlorine free and added right next to skimmer so that it mixes with present water and there is little chance of shocking the fishies!

Reaction score
water temp is 80 degrees. after the water change yesterday (with dechlorinator), they moved around some but this morning they are all huddled together, and very easily spooked.

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Racoon?

Dogs may have been indoors and staying on the bottom would keep a coon at bay.

Ask a Question