Another One of Those Stories ....

Reaction score
A friend told me he had lots of the white platys. So I headed up to his place today. He has them in a small shallow cement 'pond'. No circulating water. He takes no care of the 'pond'. Its FULL of leaves and gunk. He has some water hyacinth floating in there. The water is brownish red.

The fish seem totally happy and healthy (I caught a bunch but have them in quarantine). Crazy! They are SO BIG, much bigger than the red version I have. I think he feeds them cat food.

Here am I am worried about every little leaf, checking my pumps constantly, freaking out when the power goes out and you see a pond like this and think - I need a chill pill, take it down a notch.

Reaction score
Im just a new ponder so I think it's natural to fret over stuff in the pond. I'm sure I'll get more relaxed each year. I'm getting used to see some algae growing on the rocked walls but I figure it is helping keep healthy water and the fish need something to pick at!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
All the bugs, lil critters, fry, snails, water spiders, etc etc need the stuff to live in a happy pond. Algae on the sides is a good thing.

I get string algae in the small slow flowing ponds, went to pull some out, found it full of tads, dragon fly larvae, and other little critters setting up home there. I carefully put it all back, told them to live in peace. Also the bees were buzzing me, I was taking away their landing spot for water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm feeling guilty now................think I keep my pond too clean. Maybe that's why my free floating lilies didn't bloom?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm feeling guilty now................think I keep my pond too clean. Maybe that's why my free floating lilies didn't bloom?
They might be hungry!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
There isn't just one. lol It depends on what you consider clean. I have a garden pond so my definition of clean is wayyy different from those who have Koi ponds which is different from those who may have goldfish ponds.
For example, I define clean as being free from debris and leaves. I have no muck on my bottom but I also can't see the bottom of my pond since I have floating algae. I still consider it clean. Others would have a heart attack if their fish were in my pond. Welcome to the joy of ponding... lol ;)

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
"Clean" to my clients means that they can see the bottom, that's there's no suspended algae and no string algae.

If that's "clean" enough for them, then it's "clean" enough for me.

As I've said on multiple occasions, it's a pond, not a level three laboratory.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So you consider organic matter 'Dirty'?

Anyone else?
I dont think it has to be 'Dirty' but probably 'messy' more like. I dont like leaves in my pond because leaves I have release tannin in my water and caused my water to turn red. I want to be able to see my fish so I clean out the debris too.
My water is clean enough for the fish to live in and it's clear for me to see my fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well let's see if you have fish in your pond then you have fish pee and poo. So how "clean" can it be? lol

Actually if the water is "balanced" and safe for my fish then it's clean to me (no ammonia, nitrite, etc.)

Ask a Question