Can you achieve clear water in a koi pond that doesn' t have shade?

Reaction score
Since Koi eat all the plants in a pond, I am wondering if there is a way (through filtration and UV) to achieve clear water? My pond is pretty green with single cell algae and I am thinking of building some sort of roof over it to avoid sunlight in order te get rid of the algae, but I am wondering if there is something I'm missing cause I have seen pictures of ponds with clear water that recieve direct sunlight.....

Reaction score
Sure, I would say most of the members on here that have clear water have bogs, I do. Now I have a bit of a problem with string algae right now, but I think if I stop feeding the boogers everyday, they would probably eat it all. But otherwise, I have clear water.

Reaction score
Well I live in Costa Rica, tropical weather, the temp here is around 75 farenheight year round. The water does get warm.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
What kind of filtration do you have right now?
Alonso said:
Since Koi eat all the plants in a pond, I am wondering if there is a way (through filtration and UV) to achieve clear water? My pond is pretty green with single cell algae and I am thinking of building some sort of roof over it to avoid sunlight in order te get rid of the algae, but I am wondering if there is something I'm missing cause I have seen pictures of ponds with clear water that recieve direct sunlight.....

Reaction score
I installed a multichamber system with 55 gallons plastic barrells. The first is a vortex , second is mechanical filtration with 18 inch brushes. In the third I placed matala pads with aeration for mechanical / bio filtration, in the fourth there is matala pads as well ment for bio filtration. In these last two chambers I placed pads of the four densities of matala in ascending order. The water returns to the pond through a fountain and I recently placed water lilies in it to help the filtration process.......

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
That is a whole lot of filtration! What are your nitrates like? I'm thinking about putting some water hyacinths in there to soak up some nutrients. Or you could cover part of the pond with bird balls.

Reaction score
Sissy has a lot of luck removing "pea soup algae" macanically with poly quilt batting. If you could some how run it through a basket with batting in it before it goes back into the pond. It does help get the tiny stuff, I use it with start up in the spring.

Ask a Question