CASHIER SCAM ....

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Just in time for the Holiday Shopping Season...a reminder of things to come,

PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR RECEIPTS - THIS IS IMPORTANT
WITH THE CHRISTMAS SEASON COMING UP THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT. PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG!!!!!
CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS BEFORE LEAVING ANY CASHIER'S STATION!!!!! ...

THIS COULD HAPPEN ANYWHERE.

It happened at a Wal-Mart Supercenter a month ago.

I bought a bunch of stuff, over $150, & I glanced at my receipt as the cashier was handing me the bags. I saw a cash-back of $40. I told her I didn't request a cash back & to delete it.
She said I'd have to take the $40 because she couldn't delete it. I told her to call a supervisor.

Supervisor came & said I'd have to take it! I said NO! Taking the $40 would be a cash advance against my Discover & I wasn't paying interest on the cash advance!!!!! If they couldn't delete it then they would have to delete the whole order.
So the supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order & rescan everything!

The second time I looked at the electronic tab before I signed & a cash-back of $20 popped up. At that point I told the cashier & she deleted it.

The total came out right. the cashier agreed that the electronic pad must be defective. (yeah, right!)

Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad wasn't defective because she NEVER offered me the $40 at the beginning.
Can you imagine how many people went through before me & at the end of her shift how much money she pocketed?

Just to alert everyone. My coworker went to Milford , DE Wal-Mart last week. She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her along and didn't give her a receipt.

She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her.
My coworker didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for $20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH BACK!

My coworker called Wal-Mart who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money. She then called her niece who works for the bank and her niece told her This is a new scam. The cashier will key in that you asked for cash back and then hand it to her friend who is the next person in line.

Please, please, please check your receipts right away when using credit or debit cards!

This is NOT limited to Wal-Mart, although they are the largest retailer so they have the most incidents.

I am adding to this.... My husband and I were in Wal-Mart North Salisbury and paying with a credit card. When my husband went to sign the credit card signer, he just happened to notice there was a $20 cash back added. He told the cashier that he did not ask nor want cash back and she said this machine has been messing up and she canceled it.
We didn't think anything of it until we read this email.

I wonder how many "seniors" have been, or will be, "stung" by this one????

THIS SCAM CAN BE DONE ANYWHERE, AT ANY RETAIL OR WHOLESALE LOCATION!!!

BEFORE LEAVING THE CASHIER'S STATION!!!!!
CHECK YOUR RECEIPT
BEFORE LEAVING THE STAND. I'VE SEEN PEOPLE DO JUST THAT. NOW I'LL START!

PASS THIS ON TO YOUR FRIENDS, KIDS, LOVED ONES

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yep...i looked too..looks to be false.....administrators...feel free to remove this thread. sinse apparently its unwarrented!

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it is still possible however. Anyway we look at it, it should be treated as a reminder to watch our receipts. The one place I was bad about not always getting and reviewing my receipts was the local convience store ... I happend to be watching the register one day, and it scanned in a loaf of bread at nearly $5. I like my oatnut bread, but not more than $1 more than it was marked ... Hubby has always been really bad about it til last month when he got a new tire for one of the trailers ... he was over charged by $12 ... charged for balancing (weights added) and a metal valve stem ... he got neither ... but paid for them ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
koiguy1969 said:
yep...i looked too..looks to be false.....administrators...feel free to remove this thread. sinse apparently its unwarrented!
Information is always good so I'm happy for it to stay if you are :)

...and capewind makes a very good point that it is always worthwhile being vigilent.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
when i grocerie shop or anytime with 'more' items...i always check my reciept before walking away from the register...always use my phones calculator to keep track as i shop as well!!!

Reaction score
I havent had any issues at the grocery store for a LONG time. #1 - I always use the self checkout, so I watch as I go ... in the past. if the computer (or cashier) scanned something in, and it came up more than the marked price, it was FREE ... those mistakes dont havent much anymore where I shop ... The one thing I still have to watch is because of my shopping style ... the sale items ... sometimes they have a limit before they scan back at the nonsale price ... I dont do "traditional" shopping each week. I go in for the basics (milk, bread, egg type items) and then shop the sales (for items I would normally use) or coupon items (pair green giant frozen veggie coupons with the store sale and they are FREE). Last month they had full loin roasts on special for $1.49 lb (3 days only, then to a sale price of $1.99 for the rest of the week) .. normally, $5.49 lb ... these were 7-9 lbs each, and a limit of 2 ... I got 4 .. the 3rd rang in at regular price, so had to have a clerk take it off, set it aside, and then did a second transaction to get the other two for the sale price.

Reaction score
With the holidays coming up, a thread like this can be valuable. I have been working in retail loss prevention since 2000 and can tell you that theft and fraud are on the rise. Some people get jobs at retailers for the holidays just to steal whatever they can and then quit before getting caught. Retailers are desperate to hire enough holiday help so holiday hiring standards are very low.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
When self check out is available I always use it instead of going to a live cashier. It might take longer but I'd rather do it myself.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
I always check receipts but I'm paranoid. I'm sure the self checkouts are safer from this type of thing but unfortunately they still take jobs from most people who are honest so I try not to use them.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My mom worked retail back in the 40's & 50's. She told me stories of cashiers "tipping the till," or "tapping the till." Some name like that. Of course, back then it would be 10cents here & there, and the cash registers were the OLD FASHIONED, MANUAL ones. Don't even know if those gave a receipt.

One of Mom's jobs [assigned by her employer] was to keep an eye out for this, and catch the guilty cashiers. Mom said some of those cashiers were really good at slipping those coins away.

It never hurts to be safe!

Reaction score
Yeah we call it till tapping now but that generally referrs to a "customer" who swipes money out of a register and runs, usually when a cashier is distracted, whereas when an employee steals cash its just called cash theft. Interesting how the use of a term changes over time.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
dieselplower said:
Yeah we call it till tapping now but that generally referrs to a "customer" who swipes money out of a register and runs, usually when a cashier is distracted, whereas when an employee steals cash its just called cash theft. Interesting how the use of a term changes over time.
Yeah, and interesting that it happens on all sides of the "till!" What ever happened to honest people!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
speaking of cashiers...i place my items in groups as well...
1385506_10151684802236304_509554335_n.jpg

Reaction score
That's why you should bag your own groceries!!! I want the nonperishables bagged with like items ... I want my cold items bagged together too .. but I do NOT want the milk on top of the eggs;-)

Ask a Question