DO FISH FEEL PAIN?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was just reading this article, and what I got out of it wasn't so much the "yes" or "no," but what the researcher noticed about the reactions of the fish AFTER they were tested. There was an "association" made by the fish to a painful stimulus, and the fish went on to display wary and anxiety-type reactions. Maybe that's what's going on when we have a fish that just refuses to get over its shyness. Maybe it's not shyness at all, but the fish's "memory" of a traumatic experience.

http://www.underwatertimes.com/news.php?article_id=73896054101

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I think the short answer has to be yes they feel pain. The effect and impact of pain may be different in terms of the "emotional" scarring that humans get.

But even humans I know have strong avoidance to circumstances that they've felt strong physical pain. Pavlov 101 I assume...

Reaction score
“If fish could scream, would we be so cavalier about killing them and eating them?

We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes they can tests have been done on fish to prove this, just as we know thatfish have longer memories than we think they have.

rgrds

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Dave 54 said:
Yes they can tests have been done on fish to prove this, just as we know thatfish have longer memories than we think they have.rgrdsDave
Yep, and that's what my article was referencing. I just thought it was interesting that they noted the "aversion" behavior in the one group. Just sheds more insight into why some fish seem more scared or skittish than others. Or why they might be skittish in the first place.

I find animal behavior and why they do what they do, very interesting!

Reaction score
Dave 54 said:
Yes they can tests have been done on fish to prove this, just as we know thatfish have longer memories than we think they have.

rgrds

Dave
If we know how long fish memories are, how could they be longer than we think that they are?

Nepen said:
good info.. now I want to know how fish sleep..
I want to know if fish go to heaven when they die? I'm guessing only good fish go, but perhaps someone knows of some scientific studies that prove otherwise.

Ask a Question