Do I need to test my pond if I don't have fish or other creatures?

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have some plants: a lily, a saggitaria, and 2 mare's tail. I'm hoping to add some Mosaic water plants.

If I do need to test the water, what do I need to test for?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Other's might correct me, but I don't think you need to test your water if you don't have fish. Your plants sound pretty :)

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, that makes my life easier!

Now...there's always the chance that frogs will want to lay their eggs here...so if we end up accidentally getting tadpoles, will I need to test the water then?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I never tested my water when I only had plants, the testing is to help keep the fish healthy I believe and if frogs are laying eggs in the water, the water is good. Do you have any pictures of your garden pond? We love pictures.And welcome!

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
I never tested my water when I only had plants, the testing is to help keep the fish healthy I believe and if frogs are laying eggs in the water, the water is good. Do you have any pictures of your garden pond? We love pictures.And welcome!

I do! It's not completely finished (doing some more landscaping outside of the pond) and i think I want to add a floating plant so it looks less empty. You can see the mare's tail I transplanted looks awful. The one where the branches are completely flat across the water tipped over during transplanting so that's why they look like that. It was really great looking before that happened :/
Not sure why the photos are low quality.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 272
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 273

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
It used to be a sandbox ages ago. This is how it looked a week or 2 ago:

Attachments

• 11652197_10153031876621705_1951390544_n.jpg
    11652197_10153031876621705_1951390544_n.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 257

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh wow, what a difference. The yard is gorgeous. See and now in my pond head I'm thinking that'd be a great bog for the pond you could build below it... Lol

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh wow, what a difference. The yard is gorgeous. See and now in my pond head I'm thinking that'd be a great bog for the pond you could build below it... Lol
lol yep! My mom now wants a huge pond off to the side (where you see the darker grasses in the background). Right in front of the pond we have a field for playing games and then beyond that is the park/a trail down to the lake. But yeah, some day I guess we'll dig a huge pond in our backyard. I'm going to want to rent some equipment for that because there's no way we're just shoveling out the dirt.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The larger ponds are actually easier to maintain as well. Is your frog a spitter? One of the things you could do to help clear your pond is put a small milk crate with some quilt batting under the stream of water and let that filter out the silt and dirt. You can get a tiny milk crate from WalMart for a few dollars and put it on a pot or something to get it slightly out of the water

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
cute pond! and I see potential just like T said :)

Ask a Question