Does this sound like a scam?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just got off the phone with the financial rep. from the insurance company, and it all sounds legit. She explained a lot of things to me that did make sense, such as why it took 10 years for a check to be mailed [Mom died in 2002, check was mailed in 2012]. And as far as any personal ID I would be giving, it's only the last 4 of Mom's social, not the whole number. She stated that I would receive a re-issued check, and as executrix of her estate I would just need to take my paperwork with me to the bank to cash the check. I sure didn't see any funny-business mixed in there -- they aren't asking me to send any money or anything -- and I am by nature pretty cynical.

@j.w We are just like that, too, as far as answering the phone. If there's a # we don't know, we call it a collective, "them." "It's them again." I have an app called "Number Guru" where you can type in a phone # and get feedback if it's legit or suspected spammers. It has been kinda fun to use -- THEY call us a lot!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Just got off the phone with the financial rep. from the insurance company, and it all sounds legit. She explained a lot of things to me that did make sense, such as why it took 10 years for a check to be mailed [Mom died in 2002, check was mailed in 2012]. And as far as any personal ID I would be giving, it's only the last 4 of Mom's social, not the whole number. She stated that I would receive a re-issued check, and as executrix of her estate I would just need to take my paperwork with me to the bank to cash the check. I sure didn't see any funny-business mixed in there -- they aren't asking me to send any money or anything -- and I am by nature pretty cynical.

@j.w We are just like that, too, as far as answering the phone. If there's a # we don't know, we call it a collective, "them." "It's them again." I have an app called "Number Guru" where you can type in a phone # and get feedback if it's legit or suspected spammers. It has been kinda fun to use -- THEY call us a lot!
So did your Mom have a policy with them? The most important question. And who paid for that policy. When did they buy it.

Google "Giving out the last 4 digits of your SS". The first 5 numbers are easier to figure out.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Mmathis Is this the thing you use? http://www.numberguru.com/
Guess you can just use it on the computer too. I'm gonna give it try cuz I write down all the #'s that call us and how many time and if they call more than twice I block them. Darn Comcast tho only allows 12 #'s to be blocked at a time so I have to play musical #'s all the time. Take one off put a new one one and so on. Need to buy some phones that have the massive amount of blocking feature on them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We use majicjack very seldom get random phone calls, it hardly rings, love it!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You know that is so true addy. I had magic jack here for 6month free trial and never got any of those calls all the time bugging us. I didn't renew it tho as we have Comcast bundle. Might do magic jack again someday as it works pretty good.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Mmathis Is this the thing you use? http://www.numberguru.com/
Guess you can just use it on the computer too. I'm gonna give it try cuz I write down all the #'s that call us and how many time and if they call more than twice I block them. Darn Comcast tho only allows 12 #'s to be blocked at a time so I have to play musical #'s all the time. Take one off put a new one one and so on. Need to buy some phones that have the massive amount of blocking feature on them.
Guessing it's the same -- mine is an iTunes app.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So did your Mom have a policy with them? The most important question. And who paid for that policy. When did they buy it.

Google "Giving out the last 4 digits of your SS". The first 5 numbers are easier to figure out.

They are acting as a 2nd [or 3rd?] party for another company that holds the policy -- she said the name but I didn't write it down, LOL! Didn't ask who paid for it or when it was taken out.
By the way I assume this is an annuity and not an insurance policy?
No idea. Would it matter?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
They are acting as a 2nd [or 3rd?] party for another company that holds the policy -- she said the name but I didn't write it down, LOL! Didn't ask who paid for it or when it was taken out.

No idea. Would it matter?
Yes. It's not a scam if someone did pay for it and it was a real policy. Now it sounds fishy if they say another company holds the policy. Why?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
NOT A SCAM!! The check came the other day....now all I have to do is find the paperwork to let me cash it [as executrix of the estate].

It's not a fortune by any means, but will let me buy a few items/equipment for the pond that would normally be an extravagance.

Ask a Question