First time winterizing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi, all. I'm in Zone 6b, and this will be my first winter with my stock tank water garden. Things have really gone well, all summer long, and I want to make sure that I transition into cold weather the right way.

My tank is a galvanized metal stock tank, about 300 gallons. I've got lots of filtration--maybe more than necessary, and about 9 fish (comets/shubunkin), unless there are fry that I haven't found yet.

At this point, I'm just starting to make my shopping list for things that I'll need.

1. Net to keep fall leaves out.
2. Air stone/oxygenator.
3. Heating element.
4. Bales of hay to insulate the tank from

Anything else that I should put on my shopping list?

Also, if people have recommendations for the size, types or brands of air stones and heaters I should be looking for, I'd be grateful for the advice.

Attachments

• IMG_4032.JPG
    IMG_4032.JPG
    380.7 KB · Views: 372

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You will need to surround the sides, that will freeze solid if you don't.
Our deck pond freezes to the bottom, but we have no fish in it. The snails seems to do fine.

I use a pond breather to keep some circulation going. Air exchange. It does not warm the water, just keeps a hole in the ice. My ponds all freeze over, the fishless ones I do nothing to them. The ponds with fish I use the pond breather to keep them healthy. This is with a 3 foot or so snow cover.
pb1.JPG
DSC07805.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So, with a pond breather, I wouldn't need a separate oxygenator and heating element, then? Just found another thread that talked about them...sounds like that's the way to go.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
That tank looks way too exposed for the fish... it's metal too...

I would bring the fish in the garage (or a cold basement) for the winter and put them in a 100 gallon container with an aerator with a water change once a month.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Photo is attached
View media item 4729
It's up against a large planter box on one of the long sides. The rounded ends and other side are exposed. My thought was that a few bales of hay around the sides would help insulate it, though, if there's a better way to do that, I'd love suggestions. I was also considering partially covering the top (with a board and some kind of insulation).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
You could always cover it with a greenhouse sheet. It will be easier in the winter after your plants lose their leaves.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I think it's too cold in zone 6b for an above ground tank without a lot of insulation.
300g is small enough that you could easily catch the fish and bring them inside for the winter.
If you cover the surface with insulation or plastic you will also need to provide some aeration so the decomposition process can continue throughout the winter with the water condition remaining healthy.
You know your climate best though.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Thomas How much freezing do you get there in zone 6b? Is there a chance that the tank could freeze over? Insulating might help, but every pond and every situation is going to be different. Is it an option for you to move the fish indoors as was mentioned?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It wouldn't freeze solid, I think, but it would freeze. We usually have one or two weeks (not consecutive) of temperatures that are bitter cold, and the rest of the time, temps hover around freezing, or slightly below.

The garage isn't really an option, because it's tiny and our car takes up all the space (the fact that we have a garage at all in Brooklyn is a minor miracle). I could bring them into the basement, but my only concern was to have 9 fish in 100 gallons, I just had questions about filtration, feeding etc. They've been doing so well in the stock tank, and I've only had to feed them once or twice a week--the water quality is great, they've grown a bunch over the summer, so my only concern would be if I move them indoors and everything takes a sharp left hand turn into a ditch... But maybe that's not a concern at all.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
From what I understand [and keep in mind, my knowledge base is limited], as long as the water doesn't freeze solid -- as in the entire tub is a solid cube of ice -- and there is a way to keep an opening in the ice [ie, Pond Breather or by another means], the fish have a good chance of doing fine. Maybe even go so far as to use the hay bales and then wrap the entire thing [sides only] in bubble wrap. Just be sure that the bottom is completely free of fallen leaves, etc. and start feeding a fall-winter diet. And when it gets really cold, don't feed at all.

I know what you mean about extra space...... Here in the south, basements are unheard of except in some places. So many ponders talk about moving their fish to the basement..... Jealous!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It wouldn't freeze solid, I think, but it would freeze. .

I am 6b, my smaller fishless ponds, in the ground, freeze almost to the bottom if not all the way to the bottom. (some winters, some winters they do not freeze deep at all) One year I could feel all the way down to the bottom of the pond, along the edge, and it was ice.

My deck pond is around 18 inches deep, it freezes to the bottom.

With the metal sides, unless insulated well, like you are saying with hay bales, it will freeze up.
The pond breather will keep a nice opening in the ice. It does not warm the water.

Ask a Question