Friend donated their fish to me

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is no way a pond that size could safely accommodate 30 koi. Thirty goldfish maybe, but never 30 koi. You would have to have massive, and I mean massive, filtration for that.

It is recommended here to have 1000 gallons for the first koi and 500 gallons for each additional one. Your pond should have 3 koi. Obviously, if they are small they will be okay for a short while.

However, koi grow fast and get huge and produce a great deal of ammonia, even if just by breathing. Unless you have plans for building a several thousand gallon pond, you will soon be tremendously overstocked. What are you planning to do with them when they get larger?

The confusion comes from your stating that you have 11 koi and recently added 10 new ones. We didn't understand that the total now is 11, not the total of the numbers you posted. But still it's too many for the size of the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Once large enough I’ll be selling them, as I wouldn’t want that many fully grown koi in my pond. I think it also depends on what koi you get, mine are sanke. So once they get to about 5-6 inches I’ll be selling them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is no way a pond that size could safely accommodate 30 koi. Thirty goldfish maybe, but never 30 koi. You would have to have massive, and I mean massive, filtration for that.

It is recommended here to have 1000 gallons for the first koi and 500 gallons for each additional one. Your pond should have 3 koi. Obviously, if they are small they will be okay for a short while.

However, koi grow fast and get huge and produce a great deal of ammonia, even if just by breathing. Unless you have plans for building a several thousand gallon pond, you will soon be tremendously overstocked. What are you planning to do with them when they get larger?

The confusion comes from your stating that you have 11 koi and recently added 10 new ones. We didn't understand that the total now is 11, not the total of the numbers you posted. But still it's too many for the size of the pond.
I put 11 koi one 2year old and recently added 10 🤣 oh well I guess it does seem like 21 the way it was worded.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good luck. That's not as easy as you might think and most people just give their fish away like your neighbor did.

Please make sure you have plenty of filtration in the meantime. You can't have too much and I always recommend that filtration should be at least 5 to 10 times what is usually recommended for the amount of water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would have used the old pond as the guaranteed pond. Added my paradise and proforma. C treaMeNTS using their pond . Then add them to my pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would add them. Unless you have a second place to keep them and/or plan a new second pond, they will be combined eventually. Yes there is a chance that your 2 groups of fish will pass something on to each other. But that is inevitable if they are all going to be combined after being quarantined. It sounds like the new fish are coming from a stable environment and have been together for awhile. As mentioned, be sure your pond can support the added fish. I tend to "overpopulate" my ponds :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I spoke with a reputable koi expert, and said my pond is adequate enough for 30, but like I said I definitely would not put 30 koi in my pond! My brother also has a pond just slightly bigger than mine, which his had successfully running for 15 years , with koi , sturgeon, goldfish etc he has 74 in there.

I just wanted advice on whether to just add the donated fish into pond straight away. I people who have and have no problem, so was wondering if anyone else here has and how did it go. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would add them. Unless you have a second place to keep them and/or plan a new second pond, they will be combined eventually. Yes there is a chance that your 2 groups of fish will pass something on to each other. But that is inevitable if they are all going to be combined after being quarantined. It sounds like the new fish are coming from a stable environment and have been together for awhile. As mentioned, be sure your pond can support the added fish. I tend to "overpopulate" my ponds :)
Thank you ☺️

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you like to gamble, sure, go for it all dump them all in together. If you want to protect them all, quarantine them and treat them in quarantine if you want.

If you choose to quarantine, put one of your current fish in with them, after treatments if you do those, to make sure neither group passes on some disease that they have become immune to. You may lose that one fish, but that way you have a much better chance of not losing them all.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Unfortunately most of those koi dealers we talk to have one goal sell fish. Some sell as many as possible right to the point we can sell a few remedies or upgrade a filter.
It's very rare to hear you have reached your max from anyone who sells them.
Not to mention today they are half as big as they will be next year or the year after. Koi can grow fast but even if they don't they sure can still eat a lot and poop twice as much

Ask a Question