Dog friendly water plants?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I am building my 1st pond (16 x 25 x 3.5) in zone 7. I have some fairly large dogs, i.e. >120 pounds, that may investigate plants that surround the proposed pond. I am trying to determine what plants are non-toxic to dogs that I could plant in my bog or as oxygenators. I am already aware that water hyacinth, some cardinal plants, and iris are toxic to dogs.

Any help is appreciated.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Good question, but I would have to do a Google search of individual plants, and I don’t know what grows where you are. Maybe someone else can give you answers. It’s good that you’re being proactive regarding the safety of your pets. Are your dogs known for eating plants? Oxygenators exist under water, so your dogs would have to be good divers to be able to get hold of them.

The concern I have, though, is the possible damage the dogs can bring to the pond. If you are planning to use a liner, be aware that dog claws can really, really cause damage.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am not worried about the dog jumping into the pond as she is not a fan of getting her feet wet. But she likes to eat decorative grasses or weeds near my fence, so I am trying to make sure to get nontoxic plants.

We are zone 6. Any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello,
I am building my 1st pond (16 x 25 x 3.5) in zone 7. I have some fairly large dogs, i.e. >120 pounds, that may investigate plants that surround the proposed pond. I am trying to determine what plants are non-toxic to dogs that I could plant in my bog or as oxygenators. I am already aware that water hyacinth, some cardinal plants, and iris are toxic to dogs.

Any help is appreciated.
I have cardinal plants all over.
My golden absolutely loves to grab hyacinth and rip them apart. Unfortunately there's a lot of info out there that's more based on fear than fact. I was just a discussion where people were talking how they would NEVER GO IN THE POND. the bacteria can kill you bla bla bla. I'm constantly in my pond. with the fish , but they still insists i'm flirting with my life. Oh please.

I would plan on using 12 oz non woven fabric or thicker over the liner so the dogs don't puncture it when they do go in .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think almost every pond plant will come up on some "toxic to fish, dogs, birds, humans" etc list. The question is - will your dogs actually eat them? Most dogs will eat grass, but they typically don't go around chewing on bushes or other plants. And I also wonder HOW MUCH would they have to eat in order for it to be toxic? We all know chocolate is "toxic" to dogs, but if your big dog eats an entire pan of brownies, they won't die... ask me how I know! So if your dog takes a nibble of a "toxic" plant, it's highly unlikely to do more than maybe make him a little nauseous. And he'll go eat some grass to take care of that!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1656173656011.gif
and welcome @Blueberry

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you guys very much for the information. Do you have to use liner tape to prevent bubbles between the 12 oz non woven fabric or thicker over the liner? This seems like a great idea!

Chex's loves to sunbathe. However, her second favorite hobby is to eat weeds and citronella, prune redbud trees, and carry sticks around the yard. She does not chase squirrels, birds, lizards, etc.

I agree that a small amount of a single plant is likely not to hurt her..... Yes, a single time of eating brownies is not so toxic, especially at her size, unless it is 80-90% cacao/dark chocolate.

My question was largely focused because I think that if she finds a particular new plant that she likes to snack on, she will eat every single one around my pond as fast as she can.

I am trying to protect Chex in light of my new hobby.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is just what I’m investigating, and wanting to know if my dogs drink from the pond, what can’t be in there. They won’t grab the plants, but they will drink water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
birdywalks.gif
@Mamaleh
Dogs are gonna drink out of anything w/water in it. Any animal will. My cats always drank out of my pond. Nothing ever seemed wrong w/them. Maybe animals have a better protective system to ward off things then we do? I suppose tho if something really bad got into the water things could go awry, like parasites, tapeworms etc.? You could erect a small wire fence around your pond to keep them out and supply a big bowl of water for them outside of the fenced area.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my pups will not drink city water over water from the pond

Ask a Question