Goldfish not active

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I built a pond above ground, 400 litres as my main pond had too many fish. I have a bog filter and pump 360 litres per hour and have 9 small (2 inch) goldfish. They have been in about 3 months but are very inactive, just staying down the bottom and not moving much, they feed a bit. Water quality is ok. The other larger pond has koi and goldfish and is all good, fish all very active, any ideas?

Attachments

• EE9AE64C-17F2-4D4C-A9F2-2A139BA9D7E9.jpeg
    EE9AE64C-17F2-4D4C-A9F2-2A139BA9D7E9.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, water temp is 11 degrees C. Nitrate levels are showing a little high, May this be the reason?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Could you please post the actual numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and KH? That would be very helpful for us to know what is or isn't going on with your pond.

Also, have you compared the temperature of the larger pond to the temperature of this smaller one. It is likely that the larger pond is warmer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Ammonia 0, PH 7.0, Nitrate 100, Nitrite 0, KH 6. Both ponds are the same.
Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I think the nitrate is close to the toxic level, so would do some partial, 20% or so, water changes. I don’t feed when the water is that cold, as the. Goldfish can’t digest it properly, and the food is probably causing the high nitrate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would also set a couple of potted plants in there to suck up nitrate. Whatever can tolerate cold temps and standing water. I have mint, iris, taro, water lily, and cyperus still green, zone 8b.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Personally, I would raise the KH which will also raise the pH. Both, in my opinion are borderline, so you don't have any cushion if they go any lower.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sedge type plants are good to suck up excess nutrients also.
Sweet Flag also but it can grow huge so cut it back when it starts to become too much. It grows slowly too that huge size in a pond tho. There is a variegated type that is pretty.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sedge type plants are good to suck up excess nutrients also.
Sweet Flag also but it can grow huge so cut it back when it starts to become too much. It grows slowly too that huge size in a pond tho. There is a variegated type that is pretty.
Thanks, not sure which plants can withstand the winter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those plants will likely survive, but for them to be using the nitrates in your pond, they have to be actively growing. If you live in a cold area, that is not likely to be happening now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Yes these can survive your winters but like said not growing now so won't help now.
i mean i think in 11c it would suck up some nutrients, not a lot but some im guessing, it being a grass, some tend to flower in early spring when temperatures are around that. i wouldnt say its a bad decision to put it in now, but probably best to stop feeding, everything is slow in winter.

Ask a Question