Hard white bumps?

Reaction score
My goldfish and shebunkin have hard, raised bumps on their face and pectoral fins. Took them to the fish doc to have a scraping and he didn't know what it was! They are hard like sandpaper. My koi are all flashing but don't seem to have any bumps. The Goldie he looked at also had burgundy colored gills :.(

We ruled out ick and some other things but he said it could still be some hidden flukes or it could simply be stress. I know that this time of year they are really susceptible to problems, plus we moved them to a stock tank so I am hoping it is just stress! My water came back as fantastic so no PH or nitrite issues and crystal clear.

Ahhh!!!

Reaction score
I have seen the pox and it looks nothing like it. I tried to take a pic but it wouldn't focus enough. These look like stalagmites that grow in caves, seriously! They are thin and extrude from the skin a bit and are only on face and pectorals (or what I have seen). Super hard and bright white.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
How big are the fish? Is it on some and not others? Some do develop knots for breeding, The sand paper feeling is what they use to rub the females belly to induce egg laying, males can have this females usually don't. Koi can do the same thing, all this is coming from information I have read, personally I've had goldies and koi do some breeding and I've never actually seen them on my fish to date. My koi are pretty small for breeding the Goldies are fully mature but could still grow some in the next few years.
The flashing and reddened gills does send up some concern thoughts.

Reaction score
The goldies are about 7 inches, the shebunkin a little smaller. None of the koi seemed to have the bumps but were flashing, none of the goldies are flashing but have bumps. Seems like a goldfish specific or affects different breeds differently kind of thing?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Carp Changes & Behaviour During Spawning Period

In the spawning season, male carp grow white bumps called tubercles over their heads and gill plates - and they sort of lose their minds. Female ovipositors become large and distended. The males chase, harass, bump into and otherwise molest the females which are fattened by the vast number of eggs that they are carrying.

As the female gets nearer and nearer to the day which she will release her eggs, the male-based activity grows more frantic. The males become quite aggressive and restless. Their animalistic nature emerges. They are fearless and their battles create an amazing sight, especially in the shallow, weedy and warm waters.

Koi, and Goldfish are just two of the many different species of carp, So to answer your question, it's not just goldfish related, I can't think of anything off hand that would ONLY be on one and not the other, weather breeding bumps, parasites, or other.

Reaction score
shakaho said:
Here is a picture of "breeding stars" on a male goldfish.

That totally looks like it!!! The koi guy said that breeding bumps are not white (but that might explain why the koi don't have them). I know koi get raised bumps but they aren't quite like these! I originally had thought it was just some breeding thing but the flashing got me worried. That said, the ones with the worst "bumps" was presumably female (swells with eggs in the spring), perhaps he/she is confused.

So if those are breeding stars and our water quality is good, I am going to assume it is only stress that is causing the burgundy gills and/or that a minor parasite is bothering the koi. The treatment we gave them (protectant) will hopefully do the trick! If it is flukes or something, it should be more apparent when the weather warms and they settle in more.

Thank you!!!

Ask a Question