how much does a filter restrict waterflow?

Reaction score
I'm trying to find the right size pump for my pond. The pond is about 350gal and I plan to have a 10-12" waterfall/filter combo. I'll be using the skippy mini-me filter plans.

I've calculated my TDH to be about 2.5 with a 1200 gph pondmaster pump. that equals to about 1100gph. Will that be enough flow for my filter? How can I figure out how much head the filter uses up?

thanks

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you just measure up from the waters surface to the point of entry in the fiter, and 10' horizontal is equal to 1' vertical...so if your filter inlet is 2.5 feet above water level, and your pond is 8' long and your pump is at the opposite end from your filter,and you filter sits 2' back from the pond for your waterfall, you have 3.5' of head heighth...but that pump would actually be too much for any filter less then about 25 gals or up. even at 1000 gals per hour a 25 gal fiter would only allow just over 1&1/2 minutes of water in filter time. so tee it off so some water goes thru the filter and some circulates "in pond" or goes directly to falls. or better yet use a 30 gal or bigger trash can and bury it ... there is no such thing as too much filter.

Reaction score
seems like such a huge filter for only 350gal pond. My problem is space i guess. I wanted to keep the waterfall and filter together as one unit.

Is it possible to make a filter and waterfall like this using the skippy filter concept?

I know they sell the pre-made waterfall buckets that you just pile rock around... but i'd like to make my own if possible. I'm just not that sure how to go about doing it correctly.

Reaction score
http://www.bullfrogpondsupplies.com/bf1000.html here is a waterfall that says it can handle a 1500gph+ flow. It's only a 20 gallon filter as well. My problem is I don't know how to make some huge 30+gal filter with a 10" long spill way. The only thing the skippy filter offers is a round outlet pipe which wouldn't much look like a waterfall.

any ideas?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
check out my pond pix, "pond redo and waterfall progress", in photography forum..and "my 70 gallon skippy filter" in diy section shows both building and some installation... then "new pond in rain" in photography shows finished work... that filterfalls box will handle the flow but will do the job of cleaning the water? the 70 gallon & up stock tank or a 55 gallon drum is the way to go!! designs for both are here.

Reaction score
I'm not going to have anything in my water except 2 ducks occasionally. They would probably crap in there sometimes as well..but other than that and algae that is all I would need to filter. I have a blue plastic 55 gal drum already at my house. Seems a bit excessive for 350 gal of pond water total. Another problem I have is there is a large tree about 3-4ft behind my pond...so there are alot of roots making it difficult to dig down too deep.

I like your waterfall design. I had the same thing in mind but could figure out how to make the spillway. I didn't know you could buy 1/2 plastic sheets. Lowes?

Reaction score
also...

If i do the 55gal drum idea and bury it I wouldn't be able to have a drain plug :\ atleast I don't think I could...

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if your not going to have fish in your pond... you dont really need a filter just some plants and build up some rocks for the waterfall use a tote container. build up the rocks and a couple of flat stones as teirs. i say this because as i reread your post.. you said your not gonna have anything but a couple of ducks. just use a small u.v. and pump it thru the u.v to the falls.

Reaction score
I don't think I'm going to have any plants in the pond, it's just not big enough. Are you sure I wouldn't need anything more than a UV light? This website says pondmarket.com "Pond Ultra-Violet Clarifiers expose water to ultra-violet light that clumps algae particles together to make them large enough to be picked up by the Pond Filter."

I don't know anything about uv lights, I'm not sure if what you are talking about is even a UV clarifier.

thanks for the help btw

Ask a Question