Impeller pump questions

Reaction score
Greetings all, this is my first post ever here so go easy on me! :lol:

My wife and I recently purchased a house and it had a nice pond in the backyard of about 1000 gallons. The water was taken in by an impeller pump that sent it up to the top of some rocks about 4 feet high where it went into a "bioforce" filter and then got spit out into a waterfall type deal.

Well, since I was completely unaware of any and everything about ponds I didn't disconnect the bioforce (I think that's the brand name?) filter and when we started the pump back up this spring, 4 of the clips that lock the top of the filter to the body of the filter (and seal it with the o-ring) cracked and broke off. :(

So *THAT'S* what got me into learning and taking control of this pond! :)

Anyway, I have two quick questions (for now!) related to this pond pump.

1) Is there any way to tell how many GPH this pump pumps based on its wattage and amps? The pump is completely nondescript and has no brand name, logo, or stamping on it that states its model number or manufacturer. It does, however, say it's 120 watts and 1.36 amps. From those two numbers is there any way to calculate its GPH rating? The pump itself looks EXACTLY like this one:

2). This pump is directly in line with the waterfall. The pond is basically a figure 8 with the waterfall on the bottom left of it. The pump is also at the bottom of the figure 8 about 3 feet from where the waterfall hits (the pond is about 10 feet wide at the bottom). I have been reading various pages and most people say that the pump and waterfall should be at opposite ends of the pond to create a better water circulation. I can't really move this pump since its power cable goes under a ground level deck so I can't access it without tearing the deck up (which I don't want to do!) SO, would it be possible for me to simply run some hose of about the same diameter to the other side of the pond? I would encase the hose end in 2 pond baskets (the pump was originally packed into this bag with a bunch of foam but the lady at the local pond supply store said they usually just put the ump inside two pond baskets and then zip tie the baskets together).

Thanks in advance for any help or advice or alternative strategies you might have!

Darn looks like i might not have enough posts to link that picture or webpage so sorry about that :(

Reaction score
ironspider said:
Greetings all, this is my first post ever here so go easy on me! :lol:

My wife and I recently purchased a house and it had a nice pond in the backyard of about 1000 gallons. The water was taken in by an impeller pump that sent it up to the top of some rocks about 4 feet high where it went into a "bioforce" filter and then got spit out into a waterfall type deal.

Well, since I was completely unaware of any and everything about ponds I didn't disconnect the bioforce (I think that's the brand name?) filter and when we started the pump back up this spring, 4 of the clips that lock the top of the filter to the body of the filter (and seal it with the o-ring) cracked and broke off. :(

So *THAT'S* what got me into learning and taking control of this pond! :)

Anyway, I have two quick questions (for now!) related to this pond pump.

1) Is there any way to tell how many GPH this pump pumps based on its wattage and amps? The pump is completely nondescript and has no brand name, logo, or stamping on it that states its model number or manufacturer. It does, however, say it's 120 watts and 1.36 amps. From those two numbers is there any way to calculate its GPH rating? The pump itself looks EXACTLY like this one:

2). This pump is directly in line with the waterfall. The pond is basically a figure 8 with the waterfall on the bottom left of it. The pump is also at the bottom of the figure 8 about 3 feet from where the waterfall hits (the pond is about 10 feet wide at the bottom). I have been reading various pages and most people say that the pump and waterfall should be at opposite ends of the pond to create a better water circulation. I can't really move this pump since its power cable goes under a ground level deck so I can't access it without tearing the deck up (which I don't want to do!) SO, would it be possible for me to simply run some hose of about the same diameter to the other side of the pond? I would encase the hose end in 2 pond baskets (the pump was originally packed into this bag with a bunch of foam but the lady at the local pond supply store said they usually just put the ump inside two pond baskets and then zip tie the baskets together).

Thanks in advance for any help or advice or alternative strategies you might have!

Darn looks like i might not have enough posts to link that picture or webpage so sorry about that :(

I don't think you can tell the GPH by looking at wattage because all pumps have different levels of efficiency.

One solution would be to add another pump at the opposite end if the pond to create a little more circulation. Just set it up with no plumbing attached and direct the outlet wherever you want the circulation to head.

Reaction score
Ah, so I could drop a new pump in the far end and aim it towards the end with the current pump that is feeding up to the filter?

Since this pump is not doing any super heavy lifting do you think it could be a "not so powerful" one to keep the costs down? Any suggestions on power/gph for something that would need to push the water only about 10 feet?

Thanks!

Reaction score
if the pump has no identifying marks, it is likely not a good one. And I agree that wattage and ampage do not help to identify it. Says nothing. ALso, location is what makes the most sense, andif it doesn't reach where you want it, then it's a moot point. You should make it reach where it can.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You can tell how many gph your pump is by putting a gal jug at the outlet of the pump hose and time how long it takes to fill the gal up and do the math

Yes You can extend the inlet of the pump like you were thinking of doing with out any problems

Welcome to the forum

Ask a Question