Keeping hole open in the ice zone 5

Reaction score
I found someone in my zone who uses a pump aimed at the surface to keep a hole open in the ice and they said works in our winter (easily get 6" of ice). I plan on using a Aquaclear 50 pump 12 watts and see how this goes. Anyone else ever tried this?

Reaction score
is that an air pump or a water pump? I don't recognize the brand, so can't answer directly. But I do use an air pump with an air stone disc all winter (am in zone 6). Even if the top freezes over, it keeps a 6 inch hole open to allow for gas exhchange. It works 24/7 all year and I've never had a problem.

Reaction score
It's a power head for aquariums. same idea as air pump in that it keeps the water moving in one spot to prevent ice from forming. I think airpump would use less watts. could try that as well and compare.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
air pumps are a tried tested, and proven way to keep a hole in the ice..you simply hang them 1/2 way down the depth of your pond... as far as water pumps, Skippy's site reccomends a small statuary pump in a container full of zeolite pumping a slow circulation at the bottom of the pond to help with ammonia content thru the winter months. and zeolite does do a fantastic job of absorbing ammonia...they have plans for building one on their site...

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i would use one too if my fish didnt winter in the basement pond... come spring soak the zeolite in a strong saltwater solution overnite and rinse and its as good as new..making it a one time purchase.

Ask a Question