j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good to hear you are still ponding away and planning ahead for the warm season ahead tmann. Guess I am just happy w/ the way mine is so far. Just added a new net to keep the heron out and so far it is working great and looks fine also. Not seeing the fish now tho as think they are all frozen into ice cubes. I'll see them when they thaw. Have stuff running to keep ice off the pond somewhat. Sorry you lost your elephant ears. I think I am going to lose my Mexican palm that made it through last winter but we had a mild winter then,not so mild this year it seems at the moment anyways.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Nice to hear from you Tmann!!

Ya, know what you mean JW, but it is still technically Fall right now, however it feels more like Winter, Ice cold arctic air swept down over us and now we are freezing our butts off here, only -9 F right now!!

Topped up my bottom pond again today, ice building like crazy and displacing the water out of my bottom pond, same thing every winter.... Ugg, Winter!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
T'Mann, from the elephant ear bulbs you sent to me, I got one really nice large plant, and also a black taro! I have the bulbs down in the basement, going to store them in peat. Better get that done this weekend, so they don't rot. I'd be happy to share back with you! I also bought a red/green leaf elephant ear, not huge plant, but had lots of smaller bulbs. Let me know, as you were so generous with me, I'd be happy to share back with you in the spring!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I asked before also as I have not seen him on since he started to build his bog

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well gang sorry I haven't been on here for a long time, I have been so busy at work and some other projects. The forum changed wasn't sure I was at the right site, when did it change? I like the blue better seems more like a pond forum just with the color change vs gardening. This winter has been so long, I haven't started my pond up yet as it has been so cold and I still had ice on a week ago, but I hope to start it up tomorrow but I have so much cleaning to do.

Last fall one of my Koi had some sort of illness or disease where she her but end would float to the top with her head down towards the bottom. I had no way to get her out and try any treatments so I left her in there over the winter and the pond froze over shortly afterward. It was covered with ice it seems for the better part of two and a half months which I can't ever remember it doing this before for this long. So two days ago when about 1/3 was melted I tried looking under the ice to look for her but could not find her, I saw the other two koi slowly swimming but not her. Then yesterday about 2/3 was melted and I was able to finally find her resting under the bridge where I had last seen her in the fall. However this time she was laying on the bottom on her side and not moving. I got out my net and gave her a poke and she didn't move so I knew it was her time to go, I hope she didn't suffer any but sadly in the back of mind I think she may have for a little while. Back in the fall I even thought about euthanizing her somehow but couldn't bring myself to do it. So today after work I got it her out of the pond and buried her next to the waterfall. My wife got a small fish memorial that I will affix to a rock as to designate her final resting place. She was 24" long and quite firm when I pulled her out, I didn't expect this thought she would be somewhat flimsy but she felt almost frozen which she was not, so not sure if that was normal for a dead fish at the bottom. My wife sang "amazing Grace " as we filled in the hole with dirt. Then my wife went out and played amazing grace on her violin.

So Here are some pics:
P1060016.JPG
P1060012.JPG

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here are some more pics of the brutal winter we had. This snow pics are my pond you can't really tell except for Buddha being there. then you can see my wood Pelican wasn't doing his job too well!

P1050584.JPG
P1050589.JPG
P1050596.JPG
P1050600.JPG

P1050584.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good to see you here Tmann and sorry about your big koi fish. You guys gave it a good send off and a nice burial place next to her pond home.

Well guess there is the proof those bird statues don't scare those bold persistent herons away...........hawk too!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice burial, mr heron should head south for the winter!

Ask a Question