power cost for my waterfall pump

marktastic

Koi meets World
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I think the main reason the pump needs to be so strong is that it has to carry the water uphill least 10-15 feet. I attached a pic of my setup. The pump is at the base of the pond and the stream origination point is way at the top of the rockery on the top left. The fountain in the pond is the other pump that incorporates the filtration system.
NEW POND.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I am confident that if you check around you will find that all of the major pump manufacturers offer pumps with the flow rate that you want with higher heads than 15 feet that are high efficiency. For example, Easy Pro offers a 6000 gph 110 volt 6.0 amp pump with a 46 foot max. head. And that is only one example of what is available. Someone sold you something that is entirely wrong for this type application.

marktastic

Koi meets World
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I will do some research and get the info from the installer. Again, I was so amped to get a koi pond that I failed to think it through. Normally I do a lot of research before diving into something like this. Impulse moment... Thanks for the heads up though. Once I get the exact model and specs I will compare them to the other models available and discuss them with the installer.

marktastic

Koi meets World
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I just found out it is much less than I thought. It's only going to cost me about $75/month to run it 24/7. I'll probably still use a timer but that is much more reasonable. The installer had the wrong spec sheet. I downloaded the right one.

Reaction score
Hey Marktastic, I like your whole landscaping area there. The dark mulch, retaining wall, cool rocks, manicured tree etc.
I was just wondering, have you figured out how many gallons that pond is, including the water in what looks like a pretty long stream? Also, are you going to throw fish in there?

marktastic

Koi meets World
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks very much! I can't wait until spring to start incorporating some colorful plants in and around the pond and stream. 10 happy koi keep looking at me for food but the temp is hovering around 55° so no more for them. I hope they'll still love me in 5 months!

marktastic

Koi meets World
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hey Marktastic, I like your whole landscaping area there. The dark mulch, retaining wall, cool rocks, manicured tree etc.
I was just wondering, have you figured out how many gallons that pond is, including the water in what looks like a pretty long stream? Also, are you going to throw fish in there?
There's 10 koi in there now. I can't seem to figure out how to measure the gallons but based very roughly on the awkward dimensions I think it's about 1000?

Reaction score
I've run many, many different pumps on ponds at different heights and distances.

Have 2 - 1.5 hp pool pumps running on a large water feature I finished not long ago and the electric bill Is not insane.

Run the pump 24/7/365 .....

Just ran all the 110 / 220 power today for this Natural Swimming Pool.... 1.5 hp Pump pushing the Waterfall and Bog ..... Landscape Lights ... Jacuzzi Hot Tub ....

I can see power being expensive here....

View attachment 76680
This is soooo awesome!

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I believe it's 12Amp 200V. Seattle power is $0.098/kWh. I think I calculated correctly. I'm getting the specs from the installer but that's what he thought it was. The only reason it doesn't have a filter is because it was originally intended to just be a water feature not a koi pond. I converted it after the fact.

Very nice pond design. :)

I'd be curious what GPH you're putting out at your head height. At 12 amps, this does sound like an expensive pump unless it is like a 10,000 GPH pump or something.

Marktastic, you could get the same flow at your head height for half the electric bill or lower compared to what you're using now. You might want to keep this pump as a backup pump and then get a more efficient pump as your primary.

I am confident that if you check around you will find that all of the major pump manufacturers offer pumps with the flow rate that you want with higher heads than 15 feet that are high efficiency. For example, Easy Pro offers a 6000 gph 110 volt 6.0 amp pump with a 46 foot max. head. And that is only one example of what is available. Someone sold you something that is entirely wrong for this type application.

Yep, I agree with Mr. Jordan...

To add on to this...

Also, important to point out that "max head" means zero flow when water is pushed at max head. And... we're assuming the manufacture specs are accurate. So, get a watt meter, but make sure it can handle the amps you're pulling.

Personally, I do not like submersibles since they mince up the fish waste too much, except if they're at the end of a gravity flow filtration system, and the fish poo is much easier to capture by my filtration prior to entering the pumping. However, submersible pumps are nice in that they are incredibly quiet to the point tough to even hear them. If fish density in pond is quite low or the submersible pump is at the end of a gravity flow filtration system, then submersible pumps are awesome, except choose the right model since easier to find submersible models that cost more electricity.

I'd stick to the $400~$800 range on high efficiency pump prices so to allow the electric bill savings to pay ya back after a reasonable number of years have passed. There are some crazy efficient pumps in the $1k+ range, but, for us to get our electric bill savings to pay us back, would have to wait like 20 years. ;)

Easy Pro pump, 6.6~9amp, 115v, $604, submersible, 5460 gph @ 10 foot HH, 4980 @ 15 foot HH.

ESS 6400 pump, 3.3 MAX amps, 115v, $499.95, inline pump, 5780 gph @ 10 foot HH, 3300 gph @ 15 foot HH, For cost of less amps, notable GPH decrease at increased head. This pump is quiet, except not as quiet as my Hakko 25L aerator pump. This water pump is the one I am currently using.

I am thinking of getting a backup pump and not for sure if I should get the Fluid Dynamic Orion or Sequence... Looking for quiet, but track record is incredibly important and Sequence has an excellent longevity track record.

Sequence 1000 series, model 6100SEQ23, 3.03 MAX amps, 366 MAX watts, 115v, $727, an inline pump). 4200 GPH @ 10 foot HH, 3450 @ 15 foot HH. For cost of less amps, notable GPH decrease at increased head.

Precision Fluid Dynamics Orion series, model POE5600, 2.1 amps, 115 volts, waiting for price quote, inline pump. 4500 GPH @ 10 foot HH, 3000 GPH @ 15 foot HH. For cost of less amps, notable GPH decrease at increased head.

If much less flow is fine, then you can look into setting up a cheap solar system to power 12 volt water pumps that can push around 800gph of water 10 foot head height, but look for the rebuildable 12 volt pumps since these have a very short shelf life when operating under continuous use hovering around 2500 max operating hours.

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My electricity is about $0.45 KW - crazy right! I have not noticed a change in my bill running my pump and UV 24/7 and if someone should notice, it would be me! LOL!

I don't think they use that much power. My pump moves 2200GPH.

Really depends more so on how much water you need to move and the head height you need to push the water. The lower the flow rate, with a lower head, then closer you get to using solar powered water pumps without placing too much drain on the batteries. The higher the flow rate, with a higher head, then closer the possibility of might needing a high efficiency water pump, which these water pumps have a high upfront purchase price.

Using your kWh rates... Marktastic's pump (Little Giant WGFP 150, 1210 watts, 115v) and at $0.45 kWh, this runs ya about $4,769.82 per year (not including taxes).

Using your kWh rates... High Efficiency Pump (ESS 6400 is 379.5 watt rated if it pulls 3.3 amps at 115v) and at $0.45 kWh, this runs about $1,495.99 per year (not including taxes).

That's a $3,273.83 per year electric bill savings. This means the electric savings paid for the high purchase price for a high efficiency pump (priced at $499.95, ESS 6400) after running the water pump for around 2 months due to the extra electricity usage of the Little Giant WGFP.

If the water pump is any good and properly installed and properly protected/maintained (staying on top of fixing gaskets or propellers dependent on pump build), then you should get around 8~12 years or possibly more out of a single water pump.

Last edited:

marktastic

Koi meets World
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My pump is a "Little Giant WGFP 150" 11Amps 1210 watts. 6500 GPH at 15'. I think the rise on my setup is at least 15' maybe 20'. It's doing a great job so far. I'm hoping my electric bill will reflect those specs.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My pump is a "Little Giant WGFP 150" 11Amps 1210 watts. 6500 GPH at 15'. I think the rise on my setup is at least 15' maybe 20'. It's doing a great job so far. I'm hoping my electric bill will reflect those specs.

What it will come down to is your pumps longevity. Will it last you 2 years until you have to buy another or will it last you 12 years until you have to buy another? Tough to judge before hand depending on whom you talk to or read.

Last edited:

marktastic

Koi meets World
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I don't get how you're arriving to these numbers. I plugged then into a cost calculator and it came up much more per month. What's the formula to derive the power cost? The pump is running 24/7.

Ask a Question