power cost for my waterfall pump

Reaction score
Really depends more so on how much water you need to move and the head height you need to push the water. The lower the flow rate, with a lower head, then closer you get to using solar powered water pumps without placing too much drain on the batteries. The higher the flow rate, with a higher head, then closer the possibility of might needing a high efficiency water pump, which these water pumps have a high upfront purchase price.

I'm not showing my hubby this post! LOL! We did buy an efficient pump for this reason. Our KW is actually lower than that, BUT the govt puts some ridiculous fuel tax on each KW that drives the price way up (the fuel tax is MORE than the actual power). Our power company has a monopoly and they also have guaranteed earnings - for instance 10 years ago we had a huge storm, they had to repair many of their poles and wires, they just passed those costs onto the consumer. So sadly the consumer pays through the nose.

Many people here are turning to solar but its a huge expense up front. And its only become legal in the past few years to come off the grid. Crazy island life!

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm not showing my hubby this post! LOL! We did buy an efficient pump for this reason. Our KW is actually lower than that, BUT the govt puts some ridiculous fuel tax on each KW that drives the price way up (the fuel tax is MORE than the actual power). Our power company has a monopoly and they also have guaranteed earnings - for instance 10 years ago we had a huge storm, they had to repair many of their poles and wires, they just passed those costs onto the consumer. So sadly the consumer pays through the nose.

Many people here are turning to solar but its a huge expense up front. And its only become legal in the past few years to come off the grid. Crazy island life!

Yeah, really have to do the research when it comes to solar since there are so many very old systems out there. I've just recently researched solar to build an "off grid" aquaculture system and, from what I know thus far, really have to be careful what is bought with solar or the upfront cost can kill ya to the point that takes around 15 years to get the savings to pay for the investment. From what I've read, with a good solar system, the payback from savings should be moreso around 7 years.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm a total newbie and often make impulsive decisions without thinking things through.

Easy to become impulsive whenever the goal is to make paradise in our own backyard. Day dreaming goes crazy, inspires ya, motivates ya, gives ya energy then adrenaline, then before ya know it an impulsive decision is made because the strong desire to have this paradise in our own back yard. :)

This hobby can really convert backyards into something amazing, but, if not careful, too many impulsive decisions can turn this idea of paradise into a nightmare.

Even though this takes energy, can be a bore, and put one to sleep, I highly recommend you to research, study, and become informed best you can so this becomes more like a paradise rather than a nightmare.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
After quickly glancing at the other models by the previous manufacturers, appears that around 35~40' HH is where the energy savings stop when compared to the 3/4 HP Harbor Freight pump.
We have , best guess, around 80-90 feet of head pressure, the hf pump was our best option. OW big bucks for a pump that could handle the hp. We run on a timer for two reasons , electric bill and the stream is where most overflows happen. We run it when we are around and will enjoy it

Ask a Question