Savio biofilter is leaking

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hoping that is not the case. Hubby got me a new waterfall biofilter this year I have not started up yet. Have had my old one for almost 20 years with not problems! Still using the original spring-flo!

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
What make was your old one? I haven't tested my waterfall biofilters yet, but they should be ok as they are packed around rocks and not soil and I have them empty for the winter. The skimmer box is deep into the soil and filled with water as I winter the fish outside.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
good ideas-- will try this weekend. It is a crack that could have been from freezing, although any ice in there had room to expand, so not sure. The filter is about 5 years old. Will take a photo and post.

Thanks for all your help!
How did the repair work for you?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What make was your old one? I haven't tested my waterfall biofilters yet, but they should be ok as they are packed around rocks and not soil and I have them empty for the winter. The skimmer box is deep into the soil and filled with water as I winter the fish outside.
Not sure what the make is as it was the first Savio product at our nursery. VERY expensive at the time! We always drain it in the winter as it is above ground. This is the first year we kept it running and the knife valve is leaking but no cracks.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
20 years for SAvio? They weren't in Canada for my first pond build in 2003 or I might have bought them over that thin crappy aquascape.

Checked my skimmer just now and one is empty and one is 2/3 empty and pond water level is holding. I never would have thought it would be a skimmer box crack.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Savio has come through with warranty replacements for both skimmers. They were great to deal with and after I showed them photos of the cracks it was no problem.

My 2 biofall F100's are not leaking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
This is good news. I searched in vain for the thread on Koiphen on HDME welding of a stacked Savio. The OP didn't want another skimmer as his concern was it was fit into his masonry work. Mine is in the ground with rocks around it.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
This is good news. I searched in vain for the thread on Koiphen on HDME welding of a stacked Savio. The OP didn't want another skimmer as his concern was it was fit into his masonry work. Mine is in the ground with rocks around it.
I found it a few dys ago, but didn't know if we can show links to another forum. That guy never did respond with how he repaired it or if he did.
Addy1 is it ok????????????????

W

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I thought he did respond....it worked. He showed a step by step pictorial of how he did it and the products he used. I thought it interesting he used a wire mesh for strength under the welding.

I can see why he needed to make the repair, as opposed to replacing...but couldn't believe it when he had,not one, but three cracks!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have savio skimmer and biofalls for 10 years and not one crack or problem. I do nothing special with the skimmer it has water in it through the winter, the bio falls I drain and leave the drain open to drain any water or snow that may get in there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
That is good to hear. I've had my Savio for less than a year, and it has water in it over the winter.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I thought he did respond....it worked. He showed a step by step pictorial of how he did it and the products he used. I thought it interesting he used a wire mesh for strength under the welding.

I can see why he needed to make the repair, as opposed to replacing...but couldn't believe it when he had,not one, but three cracks!
Must be different case, I'll pm the link.

W

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have savio skimmer and biofalls for 10 years and not one crack or problem. I do nothing special with the skimmer it has water in it through the winter, the bio falls I drain and leave the drain open to drain any water or snow that may get in there.
That's good, how many months is your ground frozen a year and whats average winter temps?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Lows in the 20's for about 2-3 months. This year my pond was frozen over for about 6 weeks, that is the longest it has ever been frozen over with the exception of the hole i keep open via a bubbler. I would have thought that if it was going to crack it would have this past winter as we had negative temps for several days in a row with that polar vortex.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
We are 5-6 months ground frozen down about 3-4 ft. Average temp is -18 C over that period.

Ask a Question