should've put a fountain in sooner!

Reaction score
addy1 said:
Human I hope! lol

haha!

Dr Case - we're expecting a baby girl :redface: First baby (although DH and I have a son who we adopted from foster care when he was 6 years old), so VERY exciting!!!

The fish are loving the increased current - they weren't inactive before, but now they're crazy active!!!!

Anyone have any tips on clearing up the water? There's just a lot of suspended particulate stuff in there. Tests out perfect, zero ammonia nitrites and nitrates. But the water is muddy/cloudy. The clumping stuff didn't do anything...

I know the obvious answer is a fines filter, but I need to do something temporary and easy (if such a thing exists). I know the muddy water isn't hurting/bothering the fish, but it doesn't look very nice...

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
set up a fines filter....it can be a laundry basket under your waterfall full of pillow stuffing (fiberrfill) or a small trrash can that you can fill with the fiberfill with an extra pump . the water gets pumped in the the top and has to travel thru the fiberfill to exit thru the bottom. this way you can run it a couple days a month a put it away like i do.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
set up a fines filter....it can be a laundry basket under your waterfall full of pillow stuffing (fiberrfill) or a small trrash can that you can fill with the fiberfill with an extra pump . the water gets pumped in the the top and has to travel thru the fiberfill to exit thru the bottom. this way you can run it a couple days a month a put it away like i do.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I use a milk crate. I sewed a liner out of shade fabric to fit inside. Then I use batting as a filter as Koiguy suggested. It is a little more rugged construction, but does the same job. I have a Harbor Freight 350GPH pump I use for the supply.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I use a milk crate. I sewed a liner out of shade fabric to fit inside. Then I use batting as a filter as Koiguy suggested. It is a little more rugged construction, but does the same job. I have a Harbor Freight 350GPH pump I use for the supply.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have placed 2x4's over the pond to support the fines filter temporarily. This will allow you to get it cleaned, then remove the boards and store the filter stuff till needed again.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have placed 2x4's over the pond to support the fines filter temporarily. This will allow you to get it cleaned, then remove the boards and store the filter stuff till needed again.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
build the other setup mentioned ...any container will work with an extra pump and some hose...just let the water pump into the top of a container full of fiberfill and have a drain on the bottom of container for water to return to pond!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
build the other setup mentioned ...any container will work with an extra pump and some hose...just let the water pump into the top of a container full of fiberfill and have a drain on the bottom of container for water to return to pond!

Reaction score
DrDave said:

Genius! lol

thanks. This will work perfectly. I actually have a DIY plumbed waterfall tub (meant for my indoor turtle pond) that will work perfectly for this. I'll hook it up to the fountain/waterfall pump for a few days and that should do the trick. I'd actually considered using it as a waterfall over the summer in the pond, but when I set it up noticed it's got a slow leak at the back, where the water line goes into it. Just needs more silicone, but I can't be bothered right now (might have something to do with the big baby belly). However if it's suspended over the middle of the pond on a board, won't matter if it leaks, since it will just drip straight back in...

Just have to pick up some floss/batting this week and then set it up.

Reaction score
DrDave said:

Genius! lol

thanks. This will work perfectly. I actually have a DIY plumbed waterfall tub (meant for my indoor turtle pond) that will work perfectly for this. I'll hook it up to the fountain/waterfall pump for a few days and that should do the trick. I'd actually considered using it as a waterfall over the summer in the pond, but when I set it up noticed it's got a slow leak at the back, where the water line goes into it. Just needs more silicone, but I can't be bothered right now (might have something to do with the big baby belly). However if it's suspended over the middle of the pond on a board, won't matter if it leaks, since it will just drip straight back in...

Just have to pick up some floss/batting this week and then set it up.

Ask a Question