What changes are you going to make to your pond this Spring?

Reaction score
No real changes other than to finish constructing it!!!!!! Will probably dismantle the preformed existing pond, redo the brickwork that has not survived the last few winters with the cold etc, then line it (without the preformed section obviously) and have a second raised pond to accompany the new larger pond. Probably add the preformed above the large pond as a pseudo "waterfall" with plants in it but thinking that it might be too deep unless I fill it with stones, gravel, etc. Haven't fully decided what to do with the preformed. It will more than likely end up placed by the new pond as a separate pond for the landlords "fancy goldfish" that he left in it originally (not keen on them but they are his fish so will look after them).

Reaction score
I need to fix my still newish pond, just not sure how. Hate looking at the liner. I wish I had spent more time thinking about hiding it when I built the pond. I think it will have to wait till September when my little guy starts school. One day I will actually draw a picture of what I did and after the rest of you finish cringing, you can tell me your thoughts on how to fix it.

My husband suggested I build a smaller pond to practice on before taking on the repairs of the existing pond, but I just can't consider that right now. I do want a second pond, but I don't want rock work and all the fuss, here's my second pond - when I outgrow this one.

Next pond.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A follow-up to what I said I wanted to do back in March:

"We might be redoing the entire pond" - Did it!

"We might be able to make it 7' x 7', or maybe 6'x 6' if we want to go deeper." - Made it 11' x 6' and went nearly a foot deeper.

"I also plan on getting more plants for both in the pond and around the area." - Hopefully I can do that this Tuesday.

"I have a wildflower area that I'm hoping works out."
- Made a new wildflower area that hasn't worked out yet, seeds are struggling to grow.

On top of what I hoped to do, I also added a bog, moved a ton of plants, and laid edging along the patio

Reaction score
A follow-up to what I said I wanted to do back in March:

"We might be redoing the entire pond" - Did it!

"We might be able to make it 7' x 7', or maybe 6'x 6' if we want to go deeper." - Made it 11' x 6' and went nearly a foot deeper.

"I also plan on getting more plants for both in the pond and around the area." - Hopefully I can do that this Tuesday.

"I have a wildflower area that I'm hoping works out."
- Made a new wildflower area that hasn't worked out yet, seeds are struggling to grow.

On top of what I hoped to do, I also added a bog, moved a ton of plants, and laid edging along the patio

WOW! Way to make me feel like a major procrastinator! Lol!

Good for you!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
WOW! Way to make me feel like a major procrastinator! Lol!

Good for you!

I rushed so I could get the fish out as soon as possible. Wont be long before cooler weather moves back in and the fish have to go back inside so the sooner they're out, the better! Might have them out for 5 months if I'm lucky!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Please don't be saying it won't be long before cooler weather moves back in JB! That is blasphemy, anarchy, terrorism and all the bad things I can think of right now! Ours hasn't even gotten started yet :jawdrop:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Please don't be saying it won't be long before cooler weather moves back in JB! Ours hasn't even gotten started yet :jawdrop:

That's what's sad about it.... It's mid-May and we're just starting to see some decent temps... 4 months from now we'll start seeing it get cooler and cooler again. This is going to be a short warm-weather season. :(

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Welcome to my world JB. This is what our weather is like every Spring. Cool and wet but this year wetter than normal. We don't get warm temps each year till maybe June and sometimes not till July and then we get August and then Fall sets in. It is sad :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
The pond will stay as is but the wall in the kitchen is coming down. This will give us a view of the pond from anywhere in the kitchen and family room. :)

Reaction score
How did everyone do with their projects this summer? Yes winter is almost here, funny to read these posts now. It is only October and I am already thinking of what i will do in the spring.

#1 raise my skimmer 3", just didn't get the correct water level even with the laser level my hubby got for me! More Water!!! I wonder how many gallons I'll get with 3"?

#2 Place a large 6" "slice" of a boulder for an overhang, viewing platform at pond edge.

IMG_1054.JPG

#3 Landscape wood chips, plants, and slate pavers path around pond.

#4 Least favorite is last....... construct my water fall AGAIN for the umpteenth time.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I did manage to pull some of the iris I planted inbetween rocks around my pond but have more to pull.................later. It's a big job moving all those rocks and the roots on those suckers are a hot mess!

Ohhhhhhhh, love that nice big flat boulder slice @Lisaebetten :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is a great boulder! I keep my iris in pots in the pond, keeps them under control better. I do have a few in the bog, they have grown into a nice big area, which is fine, good filtering.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm trying to let a small batch of my iris do that floating island thingy that Colleen has in her pond. Although I better keep and eye on it from growing as big as hers does :eek:

Ask a Question