1.2 meter Telescopic fountain suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
first post here!

My pond is 1.2m deep and 3000 litres capacity.

I am looking for a pump and koi filter that has an extendable telescopic fountain at least 1.2m tall so I can put the pump on the pond bed. (there are shelves in it - just floating plants)

If you know of anything suitable and affordable please let me know!

Many Thanks,

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So what you're looking for is a submersible pump with a built in filter that can feed a spray type fountain (I think we call them a Venturi.) But you want the fountain attached to the pump? Not fed from a hose from the pump to the spray fountain? Do I have that right?

I think your challenge will be the depth of the pond - I've seen lots of pumps that do what you're looking for, but none that are anywhere near that height. So you could approach it from two directions:

1. raise the height of the pump. In other words, don't put the pump on the bottom of the pond (which isn't ideal anyway). Put it on a crate or other structure to hold it at the correct height.
2. Separate the functions - attach the pump to the sprayer with a hose. Then you won't need the long spray fountain unit that you're searching for.

You also mentioned filter... how big is your pond? These type of multi-function pump/filter/fountain units aren't really designed for large ponds, nor do they provide adequate filtration. In my experience the filter on these units is mainly to keep detritus from entering the pump and clogging up the works.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1674672968801.gif

1674672995583.gif
@mallardpond

I have a small version of that design and one thing to tell ya is if this is for a duck pond or even a pond w/fish that filter can clog up fast. I had to put the pump inside a plastic plant pot w/holes in it and also wrap some small weave netting around the pump otherwise the thing would clog super fast! Now it has run all year so far w/o clogging from last Summer till now. I have no fish in this pond, it's just for frogs and birds to visit. So if you have something in there that will add fecal matter or plant debris not sure how even w/the net set up it will work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm not sure if this will help.
I have a bucket sitting on the bottom that serves as a fountain and does provide some filtration, but I doubt it would be enough for koi. It's just a supplemental filter, but I mostly keep it for the fountain since I now have the bog filter.

Here's the description:
Compound bucket or big box store/hardware store bucket.
Submersible pump sitting in the bottom of the bucket. PVC pipe screwed into the pump's outlet. Pipe ends just below the surface of the water.

The handle of the bucket sits upright and the PVC pipe is tied to it. The handle also serves as a way to lift the bucket for maintenance. I use my net pole to do this.

The pump is covered with lava rock for bio-filtration.

Again, this alone will not be adequate for koi and will only serve as a supplemental filter, but it does provide a nice fountain.

You did say your pond is 3,000 liters, which I believe is under 800 gallons. That sized pond is really not large enough for koi anyway. It is said you need at least 1,000 gallons for the first koi and 250-500 gallons for each additional koi. Koi produce a lot of waste and need a lot of room for a healthy life.
You're better off with shubunkin and goldfish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome mallardpond! My turtle pond is very deep, and I simply added an extension pipe to get the height needed. I found the extension at a home improvement store in the lawn sprinkler system section. It was very easy. You mentioned you were looking for a filter too. That is a different challenge. Are you seeking a 'plug-and-play' filter system or something you piecemeal together from various sources? I am attaching a link that might help (for illustration purposes only) but I do so cautiously because this filter alone will not be sufficient for a koi pond of 800-gallons that is reaching the limit for just one koi. Let us know what you think. If it were me, I would skip the koi and just get a couple of pretty goldfish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thanks for all your advice guys, I will go for the fountain Stephen mentioned and find an adapter to use with it as suggested.

Ask a Question