2 of my goldfish died last night

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
ohh okay...that's what i figured. but it really freaks me out to do that. what will the color of the gills tell you?

sorry i have to keep editing my replies because they're not making sense. my brain has enough trouble when it's fully awake.

Get some sleep. No more can be done today.

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
The colouration of the fish no longer makes me think that they were feeder fish.

The fish above was one of the ones I got, which were not feeder fish. Or are you talking about the four that died? Those were the 35 cents fish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Fish with interesting colourations would normally be sold for more money.
Feeder fish are raised in poor quality conditions and are subject to having more parasites and diseases.
Maybe you received a mixture of both.

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well the shubunkin I posted the pic of is still alive. Barely. I tried to open its gill with a stick but couldn't. I moved it back to the middle of the pond, I notice skin coming off of its find. It's not swimming just being flipped around by the aerator. Now it's on its side and caught in the lily pad stems.

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
So we just found the last comet, the one fish who actually seemed to be doing okay, lying on the stone steps. No idea how it got there. It would have to be a big jump from the pond. Maybe a predator? Maybe the frog was involved?
This leaves the barely alive shubunkin and the shubunkin that's hanging out at the bottom of the pond, not really moving. There was a third shubunkin but we never found its body.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Fish with interesting colourations would normally be sold for more money.
Feeder fish are raised in poor quality conditions and are subject to having more parasites and diseases.
Maybe you received a mixture of both.
During my first year I bought a few "feeder fish" now & then. But it was mostly because my local stores didn't have anything other than very common commons, so I was choosing the feeders for color and [potential] finnage as well as looking at the healthier looking ones -- this was before I knew that colors change. This was also before I knew about QT, so I was lucky!! Anyway, the ones I picked turned out to be nice-looking fish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So we just found the last comet, the one fish who actually seemed to be doing okay, lying on the stone steps. No idea how it got there. It would have to be a big jump from the pond. Maybe a predator? Maybe the frog was involved?
This leaves the barely alive shubunkin and the shubunkin that's hanging out at the bottom of the pond, not really moving. There was a third shubunkin but we never found its body.
I'm sorry to hear! Have you seen any previous evidence of predators? Birds or otherwise? May have been the frog, but I think they're pretty dead-on when it comes to catching their prey [but could be wrong].

Something I don't think we've addressed is predators -- well, I'm thinking more about, for example, if birds are checking out the pond, they are going to poop -- bird poop is messy and could easily contaminate a small pond. Just a thought....

One of the reasons we ask all those questions when people post about having health issues or unexplained deaths -- in particular, we ask if there are any marks or sores on the fish and ask for pictures [so we can look for things the pond owner might miss] -- we're looking for possible evidence of a predator attack [among other things.....].

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
My only experience with feeder fish is looking at them at the pet store. I've never bought them, and I don't buy into the reason that they are food for predator fish.
Some people have bought feeder goldfish for their saltwater lionfish, but goldfish lack lack the HUFA (highly unsaturated fatty acids) that predator fish require. (Coldwater mysis do have that, but that's another discussion)

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
? May have been the frog, but I think they're pretty dead-on when it comes to catching their prey [but could be wrong].

Something I don't think we've addressed is predators -- well, I'm thinking more about, for example, if birds are checking out the pond, they are going to poop -- bird poop is messy and could easily contaminate a small pond. Just a thought....
I'm sorry to hear! Have you seen any previous evidence of predators? Birds or otherwise? May have been the frog, but I think they're pretty dead-on when it comes to catching their prey [but could be wrong].

One of the reasons we ask all those questions when people post about having health issues or unexplained deaths -- in particular, we ask if there are any marks or sores on the fish and ask for pictures [so we can look for things the pond owner might miss] -- we're looking for possible evidence of a predator attack [among other things.....].

I haven't seen any predators at the pond.

I just went down to take a picture of the comet, but my sister already buried it. I didn't see any signs of injury, I think. I flipped it over and there was a stain on the paving stone, maybe blood? That could've been from the fall.

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe the fish jumped to get out of the water - I've heard they will do that if the water quality gets bad enough. Just a thought...

hm....
maybe i should've relocated all the living fish to a new container after all. i was worried that might cause too much stress.

i guess whatever it was, it was bad because all of my fish are now dead (except for 1 and a half).

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
:(:cry:

Hang in there little fella [and a half].

Do you have an air stone and air pump? You could try moving the living fish into a large container of fresh [and treated] water with the air going. I usually add salt to this water -- I have to look it up, though, but I think I add about 1 tablespoon of NON-iodized salt to 5 gallons of fresh water. @bettasngoldfish, do you have any input on this?

You have to first dissolve the salt in a cup or so of the water -- make sure it's all in solution, no crystals. Then put the fish in, doing water changes to keep the ammonia level down. I usually do this until I see an improvement, or........ It might be too late, but worth a try. Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier as I just finished doing it with one of my goldfish.

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Make that one fish. Maybe. I can't find it in the pond. I was going to move it to a new container but can't do that if there's no fish!
The shubunkin I keep talking about is dead. I took some pics of it. Is it just me, or does the hole on its belly look really big?
image.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
:(:cry:

Hang in there little fella [and a half].

Do you have an air stone and air pump? You could try moving the living fish into a large container of fresh [and treated] water with the air going. I usually add salt to this water -- I have to look it up, though, but I think I add about 1 tablespoon of NON-iodized salt to 5 gallons of fresh water. @bettasngoldfish, do you have any input on this?

You have to first dissolve the salt in a cup or so of the water -- make sure it's all in solution, no crystals. Then put the fish in, doing water changes to keep the ammonia level down. I usually do this until I see an improvement, or........ It might be too late, but worth a try. Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier as I just finished doing it with one of my goldfish.

That is the correct dosing for low level of salt, 1 tablespoon per five gallons of water (pre-dissolved so you don't burn the gills) make sure to use air stone and if you have a heater I would use that as well to keep water somewhere between 74-78 degrees.

Ask a Question