2020 Koi Round Up !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
17 is the final count ! It helped that one of my females spawned on a floating plant bag last Spring and I was able to remove it from the pond. Next year I'm going to work on creating DIY spawning mats either out of yarn or just use cotton mop heads, since it seems to really reduce the number of fry.

We started draining the pond at 8:15 while it was cool outside. We ended up draining the entire pond and moving my 4 adults into the 125 gallon livestock tank. We filled the tank with pond water , ran an aerator and had a mesh net secured with 8 wood clamps.

Man, they are big and strong ! I first thought I could guide them into a pillow case I'd cut open...thinking it would be safer for their scales. This didn't work out, so I guided them into an oblong deep pool net and secured the opening with the wet pillow case. I tried to calm them by doing it slowly and I held them secured to my chest, supporting them from underneath. Reversing this process was more difficult as the live stock take is much smaller and I was worried about spooking the others and having them jump. I think I need a better net, like a koi sock net.....perhaps Santa will bring me one !

Catching the babies was so easy with the pond nearly emptied! There was one baby that was so beautiful I was temped to keep it. It looked like it could be a Gin Rin Ochiba, just lovely. I was relieved the owner of the plant nursery with the private pond / lake agreed to let me release them there, as I didn't want to do Craiglist with covid. Their pond/ lake is fairly large, however it is getting taken over with lotus plants ! I found an area with a big plume of hornwort and that's where I released them:)

I could not have done this without hubby's help, it was a big job and we're both exhausted ! We swapped out aerators for the season, took down the hoops and the wide weave netting and put up the mesh Autumn net. We laid it over the boards we use for the winter structure ( pool solar cover ) so it'll be easier to prep for winter.

Whew, I'm ready for a hot bubble bath and early bed time!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice! Should have kept the pretty one, you will always wonder how it turns out lol....................

I am so glad my pond just balances itself, they eat the eggs and tiny fry, poor things get no food during spawning time and they inhale all.
And those poor things are nice and fat goldfish, they live well off the pond plants and critters in the pond.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
wonderful! I have been reading about your yearly koi roundups, so was wondering how it was going this year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sounds like a very rewarding day. Exhausting, but rewarding. ;) And, yes - you need to ask Santa to bring you a koi sock. We have had one for years & I simply can't imagine catching/moving large fish any other way. I do tend to get super worried about the process & having the sock makes it SO much better!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Sounds like a very rewarding day. Exhausting, but rewarding. ;) And, yes - you need to ask Santa to bring you a koi sock. We have had one for years & I simply can't imagine catching/moving large fish any other way. I do tend to get super worried about the process & having the sock makes it SO much better!
I was a nervous wreck moving them which is part of why I'm exhausted. They haven't left the pond in well over a dozen years, maybe longer....and they were so much smaller !

Can you recommend a koi sock?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Nice! Should have kept the pretty one, you will always wonder how it turns out lol....................

I am so glad my pond just balances itself, they eat the eggs and tiny fry, poor things get no food during spawning time and they inhale all.
And those poor things are nice and fat goldfish, they live well off the pond plants and critters in the pond.
NOPE.......I will not wonder one bit how that pretty little koi turns out - LOL ! I must be a koi weirdo....only interested in loving and caring for my 4.....don't have the itch to get new koi.....unlike some we know.....ahem .......could I be thinking of @CometKeith ? :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was a nervous wreck moving them which is part of why I'm exhausted. They haven't left the pond in well over a dozen years, maybe longer....and they were so much smaller !

Can you recommend a koi sock?
The one I have has a 12" opening with a 10" wooden handle, and is over 3 1/2 feet long. It's all black, which I think helps them think it would be a good place to go "hide" in. We've had it forever, I can't remember where we got it from. It's a lot like this one:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The one I have has a 12" opening with a 10" wooden handle, and is over 3 1/2 feet long. It's all black, which I think helps them think it would be a good place to go "hide" in. We've had it forever, I can't remember where we got it from. It's a lot like this one:
Thank you so much ! I think two of my koi are close to or over 24 inches and I was very worried about them in the net.....I like that this net is waterproof. I think Santa definitely needs to bring me this :)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm dreading my fish move. Have a buyer for all 7 adults plus 5-6 2year olds. Adults are all 2-3' and some are 12-15 years old. I have a 300 gallon and 100 gallon tank set up but it is in the driveway, over 150 feet uphill! Going to try to catch and move small fish tomorrow and then wait till buyer is a couple of hours out to move the adults. Wish I had a koi sock!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm dreading my fish move. Have a buyer for all 7 adults plus 5-6 2year olds. Adults are all 2-3' and some are 12-15 years old. I have a 300 gallon and 100 gallon tank set up but it is in the driveway, over 150 feet uphill! Going to try to catch and move small fish tomorrow and then wait till buyer is a couple of hours out to move the adults. Wish I had a koi sock!
Good luck! I hope it all goes smoothly. I can't even imagine having to carry them that far. The little ones wouldn't be TOO bad, but those big guys are HEAVY!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Wish I was closer, I'd offer to help. It's so nerve wracking trying to move large, older koi. I remember @callingcolleen1 saying she moved her two huge koi in a bed sheet.....but she was just moving them from to a newly built connected pond..

I won't be doing it again without a koi sock , that's for sure. Is it possible your buyers have one?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know its too late for you at this point but I would without question pick up a koi sock net . They are silk and its close to impossible to harm the fish thenet holds water for a short time making the silk even less prone to even removed the slime they need to battle parasites and disease

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Glad everything went OK. I signed on today specifically looking for this post! 17. That's not bad.
How big are your koi now?

I know it was much harder for me to catch the baby fish without removing some water, but I didn't want to stress the older fish. The 11, 13, 14 and 15 year old fish have never been netted and removed since being introduced or born in the pond. In fact, they must have known I wasn't going to net them, because they kept getting in the way while I was trying to catch the babies!

Ask a Question