2020 Koi Round Up !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I know its too late for you at this point but I would without question pick up a koi sock net . They are silk and its close to impossible to harm the fish thenet holds water for a short time making the silk even less prone to even removed the slime they need to battle parasites and disease
I'm definitely getting one !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Glad everything went OK. I signed on today specifically looking for this post! 17. That's not bad.
How big are your koi now?

I know it was much harder for me to catch the baby fish without removing some water, but I didn't want to stress the older fish. The 11, 13, 14 and 15 year old fish have never been netted and removed since being introduced or born in the pond. In fact, they must have known I wasn't going to net them, because they kept getting in the way while I was trying to catch the babies!

I was so tired I almost didn't post, but knew folks would be looking for the count - ha ha !

I didn't want to remove mine and understand you not wanting to remove yours. I think next year , with a sock net, I'll be less nervous and I do think they are better off in the tank with good water and aeration, as opposed to the small amount of turbid water remaining in the pond when I catch the babies.

You did good, catching as many as you did without lowering the water !!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Glad everything went OK. I signed on today specifically looking for this post! 17. That's not bad.
How big are your koi now?

I know it was much harder for me to catch the baby fish without removing some water, but I didn't want to stress the older fish. The 11, 13, 14 and 15 year old fish have never been netted and removed since being introduced or born in the pond. In fact, they must have known I wasn't going to net them, because they kept getting in the way while I was trying to catch the babies!
The big adult always think they are safe. Mine have been in and out of the trap every year while I try to catch the babies. Thinking tomorrow will be different once one of them gets removed!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The big adult always think they are safe. Mine have been in and out of the trap every year while I try to catch the babies. Thinking tomorrow will be different once one of them gets removed!
Yes ! This is exactly what happened yesterday.....they were slowly swimming around until I removed one adult from the pond........then it was game on !

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How big of a container did you have them in? I have a 100 & 300 gallon tank, 35 gal filter on the 300. They will be in there for 6-8 hours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
125 gallon livestock tank, 4 adult koi.....about 2 hours. I filled with pond water and added a little prime, stuck air stones in netted and clamped . Covering the tank helped calm them down.

Might have been up to three hours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Tula. It sounds like you did a great job. btw I'm not accepting any more Koi this year! I must have a dozen or more new goldfish babies... I think my pond is going in the wrong direction!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
A couple of old fools !
409E73D0-B1C9-4B89-B4BC-D2F8FD4F6B39.jpeg
D201DFEB-DDC2-4A45-AF52-FD03F66C3D2F.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Wish I had your waders! That water is cold!
I bought them at Dicks Sporting Goods years ago. They were the cheapest ones they had, but they've been fine for what I use them for. I see us adding to our list for Santa......waders, sock nets........LOL.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
what is your pond lined with? that just looks so natural!

Ask a Question