water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for the thoughts! BUT

LOL Well................my big pond has a 4 foot high 27 foot long rock wall to hide the dig down on the up slope to make a flat area for the pond. The stream, 85 feet, has stacked rocks hiding the dig down as I did switch backs to get down the steep slope, the down side edge is rocks. A lot now intermingled with plants. The 1000 gallon pond, a stock tank, has rocks hiding it where it was out of ground (slope), the loop ponds (three) are surrounded by rocks.

Our house is at the top of the slope which is about 25 degrees down to the pond area. Then we slope down into the woods.

Almost a impossible job.

Our land is a bit of dirt with shale, they could even be using the ground hog dens, at least 4 of them, that I know of.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
#16 small but will become big, so now waiting for #17 another big boy Actually removed from the trap by hand with my bee glove on. Thickness size of my finger.

20220911_093542.jpg

Last edited:

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Ha! I was just thinking "you should grow them for export!" Change the purpose of your pond from "fish pond" to "snake farm" and start advertising in the local pet stores or something. (OK, I'm pretty sure water snakes aren't all that popular as pets. Or as anything else, now that I think about it...)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Caught #17 last night big sucker, raining, dark, wet, so left it to get in the AM, well it got out. It was frantic, almost went down to the pond to gather it up. It must have messed around until it found the hole. Not the easiest place to walk even in the daylight. So decided to be safe and wait, darn it!

Attachments

• 20220911_200643.jpg
    20220911_200643.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I am so sorry for your snake problem! But wow - looking at all that hornwort and hearing about the snakes -- the first thought that comes to my mind is "WOW - your pond is so full of LIFE!" (Maybe not exactly the life you want... but still. It is a haven!)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is so full of life, I love it. Would not even care if we had one snake, but this invasion is a bit hard on the fish and frogs. When I pull plants I shake off the snails (a ton of trap doors) shake off the tads, the little squiggly things no clue what they are. I put the plants in the water and shake hard.

The deer were out there eating up the lily pads I had tossed on the ground and have not yet picked up. My yard cleaning crew!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Best not to venture out after dark and walk around an uneven pond's edge.....my guess is it'll be back !
I think so also, I don't think they have the brain power to learn, danger danger lol

I am going to put in fake bird eggs, smaller than the chicken eggs I am using (real ones) put in a nest full................make it soooo attractive! Good old Amazon, found 50 for 6.99 well worth it!

Attachments

• 71MCUawJlEL._AC_SL1038_.jpg
    71MCUawJlEL._AC_SL1038_.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 0

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Maybe install a "joy buzzer" in each egg before putting them in? A digestive system full of buzzers might warn the little buggers off for good! If nothing else, it would make the snakes easier to find! ;-)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Doubt they will eat it, so far they have not eaten one chicken egg, they just rot. But they attract the snake, that plus raw fish, plus meat , plus small fish that swim in etc. Pluss whatever else I put in the cage lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So sorry you didn't get that thing! It'll be back and hopefully won't find it's way out this time. Need some kind of way to know if it's the same one or a different one. No telling how many are really around since you have caught so many.
Here snakey, snakey, come to ma ma and I'll take you to a nice new homey, home :D

Ask a Question