40w UV Light/Clarifier

Reaction score
Okay - so I just got the Pondmaster 40w UV light/clarifier for my pond. It comes with no directions! Not even a hint as to where/how to install this thing in my pump system.

For those of you who have seen my pond pictures: I have two pumps - one for the waterfall and the other is in my shallow end with the bell fountain (1200 gph). I was going to attempt to install the light inline with the bell fountain to see if it actually works. If so, we can do the big dismantling to get to the waterfall pump and move it over there.

Does anyone see a problem with this idea? From what I can tell, you would take the end off the filter and hook it to one end of the light. You take the filter off the pump end and do the same thing, right?

It would have been very helpful if the company had included at least a suggestion of how to install this thing. :rolleyes::lol:

Reaction score
Okay - so I just got the Pondmaster 40w UV light/clarifier for my pond. It comes with no directions! Not even a hint as to where/how to install this thing in my pump system.

For those of you who have seen my pond pictures: I have two pumps - one for the waterfall and the other is in my shallow end with the bell fountain (1200 gph). I was going to attempt to install the light inline with the bell fountain to see if it actually works. If so, we can do the big dismantling to get to the waterfall pump and move it over there.

Does anyone see a problem with this idea? From what I can tell, you would take the end off the filter and hook it to one end of the light. You take the filter off the pump end and do the same thing, right?

It would have been very helpful if the company had included at least a suggestion of how to install this thing. :rolleyes::lol:

PS3

Reaction score
UV light's are a ponds best friend. just put a smaller pump on the UV light.
dont put a 1000 gallon an hour pump on it it will take long to clear up.
use like a 525 gallon an hour pump. i used a smaller pump this year
and the pond cleared up in 3 days

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i ran a 1200 gph Tetrapond pump thru a 9 watt Tetrapond U.V and my 1200 gal pond cleared in 3 days, ran it about a week after, and i havent run the U.V since then. same thing every year.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Keep the ideas comin'! My husband is trying to figure out the configuration of the inlet/outlet on the top of the light - what he can hook up on each - hook the pump up to one and put an output hose on the other?

jethro13

jethro13
Reaction score
I run a 5,000 gallon per hour pump through my 25 watt aqua u-v light. It works great! The key is installing a valve to control the water flow through the light itself. If you look at my pond pictures you will see my light and the valve that I installed and how I installed it. (The valve has a green handle that is partially obstructed by some ground cover).

Reaction score
jethro13 said:
I run a 5,000 gallon per hour pump through my 25 watt aqua u-v light. It works great! The key is installing a valve to control the water flow through the light itself. If you look at my pond pictures you will see my light and the valve that I installed and how I installed it. (The valve has a green handle that is partially obstructed by some ground cover).

Thanks, Jethro! I looked at your pond pictures and I saw your UV light. That's pretty much what we had in mind except we were going to submerge ours in the pond because our pond doesn't have much ground cover around here. Check out my pond pics here and you'll see what I mean:

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/my-pond-t5991.html

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
i ran a 1200 gph Tetrapond pump thru a 9 watt Tetrapond U.V and my 1200 gal pond cleared in 3 days, ran it about a week after, and i havent run the U.V since then. same thing every year.

I just picked one up. Do you remove the light or just unplug it? It doesnt seem like much of a restriction so I guess I will just leave it until winter. I will pick up a 1-1/4 to 1-1/4 barbed connector to remove it in the winter, thou the tetra tubing doesnt fit well in the 1-1/4 barbed ends, but I made it fit by stretching it with my plyers.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i remove mine whem im done with it. i clean it and i put it away i built a replacement for it out of 1&1/2" pipe, caps, and some hose nipples.

Reaction score
Ya, my pond already cleard. Now I can get in and find where the leak is. Ever since I did work on the small falls water must be leaking out ant getting behind the pond liner so I lose a few inches a day. This morning the pond was down like a food overnight so it has become a very urgent problem.

Ask a Question