a little pond and a lot of questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm getting that impression. Luckily, I don't have them yet. Getting my plants in a few days. So what kind of fish would you guys recommend for me and my small pond. I'm really not interested in expensive fish - just something to add nutrients for the plants and help keep the mosquitoes in check. My goal is pretty flowers.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Go and pick out the colors you like. I love shubunkins, Lots of great colors.

You might want to get some fan tails, they stay small and would work great in your pond. They too come in great colors,

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Reeflections, you might try potting some of the wild orchids that grow there, I know they seem to grow in the boggy areas of our yard in the big island, they might do well in a pot in the pond. And they flower and are free!! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick reply Mitch!

The problem with my local expert is a language barrier. While she has 40 acres of super productive farm - mostly veggies and about an acre of water plants - she speaks little English and I speak zero Thai. That's what brought me here.

The only filter I have at the moment is the one that is in the the little pump I bought. I thought I would get more filter material as a preliminary to wrap around the pump itself.

I don't have a picture of the pond at this time but I will take one.

I also have coconut coir for my worms and wondered how that would work for pond plants.

Thanks again!
I can speak / read/ write Thai :) If you need my help to translate anything please let me know!

Go to Raingarden.us they have beautiful plants and fish! I bought from them and they ship to me from Hawaii, not sure which Island though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do have orchids next to the pond but not the wild ones. Good idea.

Nepen, That's a great offer for translation. Actually, we converse fine it's only when I am trying for technical info that we seem to lose it. I have been to raingarden's website and was thinking of them until I found Nui.

So I now have a couple of guppies and a pair (I think) of goldfish. They all seem happy so far although I also had a female guppy that disappeared after the 1st half hour. I can only think she jumped into the rock perimeter.

Gonna get my plants from Nui on Thursday, I'll keep yopu all posted. Thanks again.

Ask a Question